our conduits used by others

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Pro-Scapes, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Installed several conduits on a job under construction so enable us to install the home easily.

The irrigation guys slipped thier pipes thru our conduits and electricians used others. How do you guys reserve these conduits for your use and what should we do ? I feel the companies who used the conduits not placed by them should pay for bores and sleeves either by doing it themselves or paying me to do it again.

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

That blows. Do you have to bore more holes now. I'd be talking to the GC and telling him its going to cost more because you cant use your conduits now. Hopefuly he pays and deducts it for those guys who used your holes.

3. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

That would be a question I would ask if doing irrigation. Who sleeved it and for what purpose. Wondering if you talked to the gc on the job or homeowner before installing the sleeves? Not that it would make to much difference but goes for protocal when you have to charge again for sleeving.

4. Pro-Scapes

yes i told them i was sleeving for me and i duct taped the ends of the sleeves off. I did have flags in the ground with my name in sharpie on em but of course the landscapers ripped that out. Electricians used 1 for power for a fountain too. One will be a 50ft bore too. Right now about 5 out of 10 of my conduits are being used. The homewner doesnt care and just wants everything done and told me to talk to he guys who used em.

5. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

That is a huge bummer and not much you can do about it cept guard it till its your turn. Irrigation and landscapers are alot lot flowing water, path of least resistance, sorry bro, I can tell you how to screw up the irrigation if you want :drinkup:

6. Pro-Scapes

yeah i got pvc cutters and could yank thies in a heart beat... i could probably squeeze my lines in with thiers. The walkways im not as worried about as the wide azz drive. I put some work into the conduits not to mentioned paid for materials. Still waiting on the other contractors to get back with me. Chaps me bad and at another job they started putting in retaining walls without calling me first

7. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

We do irrigation and lighting:

If the irrigator asked the owner when bidding if they already had sleeves or planned to have sleeves then he probably took a little off for that. Then your issue would be with the owner and not the irrigator. But the simple fix is to "un" slip his pipe out of your sleeve, he might not like it but that his problem since you took the time and materials to prep "your" job. If there is enough space in the sleeves then it's up to you. If there is enought space but you think it is going to be extra difficult to place your wire with his pipe/wire in inplace then take his out or tell him to remove it and place yours in first.

Regarding the retaining walls: Don't you get all of the other companies info and numbers that you are working on the same site with, to touch base?

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

call the electrician and irrigation company and tell them that they used your conduits and they need to come remove their lines or you will be more than happy to cut them out for them would cut their lines and run yours.
    write on the conduit "for pro-scapes use only) and take a picture... the cut away....

9. Pro-Scapes

im sure cutting others work out will only aggitate the home owner. Its not his fault as far as I can tell. Meeting with them monday or tuesday to see what we can do about this.

I have never had an issue before but then again since i own pro scapes and integrity we usually landscape the yards we light. Im pretty new at the new construction scene

10. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

For what I would do.. is re-do it now. This may not ne a popular opinion, but I would rather do it, get the job done with rather then figure out how is in the wrong.. Most likely the homeowner is not at fault, and they are the customer. I would make them happy and them seeing me bend over backwards will propbably work out in the long run. After the job was complete I would ask questions and figure out how to be compensated. Even if I lost out, I would rather have run a smooth operation then irritate the homeowner.. but I know thats just me