Our customers are monitoring

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by pete scalia, Mar 17, 2008.

1. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Got a call today from a client. Told me that he has read some of my posts on lawnsite. This whole board should be closed down for decency sake.

2. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

He's crazy. he didn't fire you did he?

3. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Not yet but he should have. Don't you think?

4. jnewton

jnewton LawnSite Member

To tell the truth, Pete, if I was a potential client of yours and I read what you have posted here, I'd move on to the next guy in the phone book. The tone and content of your posts indicates that you have little respect for your clients or other lighting professionals. I guess this online stuff tends to catch up with us over time, thanks to Google....

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

some golden rules

1) never post your true company name
    2) never identify yourself or post anything that could LEAD to your identity
    3) never discuss methods of profit
    4) never disclose details of your business plan
    5) always be polite hear
    6) when on lawnsite assume everyone reads your posts
    7) don't identify your customers in discussion hear

I could go on.

6. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Why not? A company that shows a genuine interest in increasing their skills, a willingness to share knowledge and a respect for others is a company I would want to do business with.
    Same as above. Also, these days you should assume that public posts may eventually be traced to your true identity.
    This is common sense for a public forum, although there is much that can be shared without compromising the success of your business.
    I don't see anything wrong with many (even aggresive) styles of communication, but respect should always be the underlying principle.
    I'd go even further. I assume that everything I write and say in any place may be heard by anyone. Even comments to closest friends tend to get around. Best to be on your best behavior everywhere.
    This is wise. In fact, posting a photo of a customer's house, as we often do, can be risky. Not only may the homeowner be upset, you legally need permission to take a photo of a structure if you take the photo on the homeowners property. If you take the photo from outside the property then you don't need permission. It's good to have a photo permission clause in the contract.

7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

All very good points Steve.

A blanket rule of thumb for e-comm's is to simply assume that everything you write in an email, everything you post to a forum or website is in the public domain.

I brought this up a number of months ago here.... the fact that anyone can simply google your name or business and find the posts here on lawnsite. There is even a website called board reader that makes searching forum contributions even easier.

I am of the mind that participation on public forums is totally fine, along with full disclosure of your business and identity... what you want to avoid is being un-professional. That stuff will only come back and hurt you in the long run.

Have a great day.

8. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Great post Steve.

I get more calls and emails from people who said they have read my posts online and are now looking to me for more information. I think only once did someone on here tell me they were completley turned off by my comments and it turns out the guy was a designer who was never fond of Unique anyway. You can't win them all, honesty is the best policy. Sometimes speaking the truth or having an opinion leaves you open for critisim but overall I think this open discussion of topics is great for us and our industry.

I try not to be so aggresive anymore, it took some time for me to figure out how to convey a point or opinion here without coming off as confrentational. It is hard sometimes to type out what you mean to say.

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

8. Always use a spellchecker "hear". :laugh:

10. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member