Our Equipment over the years...

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by PR0 TURF, Dec 23, 2008.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Jrmikka...that job was definitely not your average job that you could simply price by the sq/ft or sq/yd. The big guys...there are a handful of them that seem to have all the big jobs that the rest of us want. You're gonna see that type of competition in just about any market/industry. There's always a few companies out there that seem to have their game plan together & make everything look easy. No one really knows what goes on within those companies when we just look on from the outside, so don't be fooled, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Not sure if that rambling answered your question or not...

2. PR0 TURF

LawnPro...we have definitely considered the Standers, but have yet to do much research on them. We have one Turf Tracer right now and we love it...that is why we are leaning towards them the most at the current time. I was checking out TriCity's thread today on the Exmark Vantage this morning...looks like a decent machine...might be something for us to consider?

Do the Standers come with 60" decks? The only ones I am familiar with are the 48 or 52" decks...

3. PR0 TURF

Swampy...yes after alot of going back & forth on keeping or selling the ZTRs we are planning on keeping at least one, maybe 2 of them for the reasons you have mentioned. We may get the Turf Tracers and totally regret it...so keeping 1 or 2 is probably the safe bet.

As far as the Xtreme V...I am 99% sure that you can short chain them...we have never had to do that yet (knock on wood)

:clapping:

4. burnsyscapes

burnsyscapes LawnSite Member

like what i see.

saw you posted about the standers, ive looked into them too but did not see a true reason to fork over the extra 2k. exmark does not make 60 inch decks but toro does. same exact model i noticed when i was looking at them side by side.

5. PR0 TURF

We buy quite a bit of our equipment used. It usually works out just fine for us, but we have also had some bad luck over the years. If you know where the equipment has come from & have a copy of the maintenance records then that is a BIG plus. You can tell alot about how a piece of equipment was treated just by looking around the shop/operation of the person selling the equipment. If the place is a mess, old broken equipment every where, very unorganized etc, then chances are they weren't too strict with oil changes, air filters & greasing. If the place is clean & tidy, the seller has maintenance records, and appears organized overall then chances are they also took the time to care for the equipment. It's always a risk that you take when buying used equipment, but that's the reason you are getting it for a cheaper price than brand new from the dealer.

We are hoping to purchase our Turf Tracers used...so we will see what we can find...

:walking:

6. PR0 TURF

Kelly's...our employees are not thrilled about the switch, some of them still don't believe that we're actually going to follow through with it. As long as they have a velke or something equivalent, then I expect them to be ok with it. I have talked with them about pros & cons of making the switch & they seem to understand why we are doing it. I'm sure there will be some moaning & groaning, but you're always going to get that with employees regardless of what type of equipment they are using.

:usflag:

7. srl28

srl28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Really like all the new websites you have now. Great idea spreading them out into different domain names too. Did you do them yourselves or hire a web designer?

8. PR0 TURF

Supercuts...very good question. I do have one rental property that I bought in 2009. It's a pretty straight forward deal, the tenants are good, covers the mortgage & has been a pretty headache free endeavor so far. However, I am not the one to give advice on real estate investments. I do not know the ins & outs of that industry at all. I've always heard that real estate/rental properties are a great place to invest in. In 2009 I decided to invest in a rental property & so far it has been a pleasant experience overall. I'm hoping that the property builds equity over the years & creates some opportunities that I would not have had if i hadn't purchased it. I do not have any plans for the immediate future to buy any additional real estate.

I have been investing most of my money into my Roth IRA, SEP fund, life insurance, stocks & mutual funds. I have been putting money away since I was 20. If I could go back 10 years (I'm 30 now) I would have put ALOT more money into these investments & not purchased so much landscape equipment. If any of you younger guys out there are reading this...take my advice...save some of your money!!! You do not need to be the next BIG company overnight...take it slow...save some money for the future. The power of compounding interest is awesome. The younger you are when you start saving money for your future the better off you will be. Even if you are saving $50 a week, or even a month...ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING!!! Let me make it very clear, I am NOT a professional on where & how you should invest your money. My only strong opinion is that you really should save some money for your future.

As far as getting into anything different, I do not have any immediate plans for that. My Dad always gave me some simple advice saying "Find out what you're good at doing, and do ALOT of it!" There is no need to be the jack of all trades, master of none. Find out what makes you the most money & you enjoy doing & capitalize on it. Over the years we have offered many different services that we no longer offer. We tried them out, realized they did not fit our company's profile & we moved on. For now we are just going to focus on all of our main services, maybe add a crew or two, and overall focus on becoming more efficient across the board.

As far as business size compared to profit. It's always a financial strain when you grow to the next level (whatever level that may be). You typically need to invest in advertising, additional equipment, additional employees, training, trucks, office support, insurance etc. If you do not have a full workload to support that additional crew it becomes even more of a strain until you get things up to speed. Our profits have always been best when we run our leanest. When we have an adequate workload able to support our employees without the need to find "busy work" for them. I don't really have a solid answer such as "we had the highest net profit with 9 employees, but it went down considerably with 11 employees" etc. I just reccommend running lean & trying to be as efficient as possible to achieve your best profitability.

Good question Supercuts...:clapping:

9. PR0 TURF

Jbell...thank you for your input...I find it very valuable hearing both sides of this topic. The one thing everyone seems to agree on is the Pro-Slide. I was very unfamiliar with the ProSlides until we started talking about them a few weeks ago here.

10. PR0 TURF

JP...I have not looked into the Ferris units at all. I've been an Exmark guy for quite a few years, so that's why I"m leaning towards the TT.

Can you adjust/fabricate the Pro-Slide to ride above the pavement?

Yes the salt bin is built into the hill. So far we have not had any water issues, probably because we haven't had any rain or snow...uggh!! We'll be keeping an eye on the water as time goes on.