"Our guy stopped showing up"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SSmith, Jun 13, 2012.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Me too...and I don't even call them to say I'm not coming out...
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

LMAO - Wife just handed me the phone...the last guy was charging $20, but $25 will probably be OK (I didn't ask...she volunteered that) and it needs to be cut on Friday and she will pay me cash at the end of the month so she doesn't have to pay tax. Funny, but I usually ask contractors how they do things, not dictate my policies to them. :)

3. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

I picked up one of my old clients again last night. She stopped by my house to ask if I could start doing their lawn again. They had some kid and his unemployed dad with 2 21" murray push mowers, A ryobi trmmer (not knocking, that's what I started with), and a 18V battery powered ryobi blower mowing it this year. I guess dad found a job and they aren't mowing anymore. They did a crappy job anyways. left clumps of grass all over the lawn and the murrays obviously don't cut bermuda very well.

I used to do their lawn a couple years ago for two years in a row. Then their son got divorced and lived with them last summer while he was looking for a new place so he did the lawn while he was living there. It used to be an easy bi-weekly account because it wasn't treated or fertilized and I could zoom through it. They have TG treating it now so it looks a lot better than it did I may have to get them on a weekly schedule.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Off Craigs List:

Everything you need to start up a lawn service. Murray 40" 12.5 hp lawn tractor with a new Briggs I/C 12,5 hp motor, extra Briggs 12.5 motor,Toro personal pace 22" pushmower, Echo gt2000 string trimmer with extra string heads and string, John Deere backpack blower, Poulan Wildthing chainsaw. Everything runs good and works good, son no longer wants to do lawns. $850 for it all or will split it up. 860-334-XXXX

Someone better jump on this deal ;)

5. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Kinda like one of my favorite lines in one of Randy Travis's songs. "Since my phone still ain't ringin'... I assume it still ain't you".

6. Town Line Lawn Care LLC

Town Line Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Member

Saw that last night and just laughed..... must have been the hot days we had this past week.:laugh:

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I know a few people who go through 4 or 5 lawncare fellers per season

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I get the full months payment on first service. My terms, not theirs. Too many people comfortable with ripping off service folks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Orrdc

Orrdc LawnSite Senior Member

I keep waiting for that elusive good mid season client, thus far mine have all been "oh, we are supposed to do something with that grass? We prefer to live in a jungle but the dern city thinks we need to cut it"

10. dc240nt

dc240nt LawnSite Member
    from NW MN

Ive been pretty lucky so far.
    I picked up a yearly this past week. Lady is on my snow route, called and told me her neighbor kid had been mowing for her but he quite showing up. I have it now and another yearly contract in the books. Not to mention a nice monthly income bump.

Another lady I mow for may not turn out as well. Ive mowed 4 times now and she's into me for $50.00. I wont sweat that amount to much, and she gives some money each time I show up. but my red flags are waving. Her old provider quit on her "because he got to busy, he has 150 accounts". So, I'll see what happens. Im mowing there again on Monday, hopefully she pays up this time. If not, I'll have to give her the hard word.