"Our guy stopped showing up"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SSmith, Jun 13, 2012.

1. clinicalengineer

clinicalengineer LawnSite Member

You have that right about the "cupcake generation" of today!!! They expect everything to be handed to them with little or no work effort. I tried getting my younger cousin to work while he's off of school for the summer. His response, "thats work, I don't want to do that." He would rather have his rear end planted infront of the TV with smart phone in hand doing nothing.

2. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

:laugh::laugh::laugh: This might come as a shock to you but not all of us mow 30+/- properties a week, some of us have companies/crews to run which include paying bills/employees. I'd love to tell my guys, "hey, we're going to take a 1 1/2 month break. Mow for another 2 months and then take 4 months off :laugh:.
    Some of our accounts are by contract for the season, we get paid whether we mow or not. For the weekly accounts they say "to be mowed weekly." There is no stipulation "if it is too hot/cold/snowing" they don't care. So whether you call us "dustcutters" or whatever simple fact is by skipping a week or two puts us in breach of contract. They usually let it slide a week but I don't want to test their boundaries. So continue with the golf game, you might shave a few strokes off your game but I don't think it will help your bank statment.......

3. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Quit because he is too busy,,ok I don't buy it, quit because slow to no pay.
    :walking:

4. SSmith

SSmith Banned

You're ripping people off. Good for you.

5. Bashby

Bashby LawnSite Senior Member

how is that ripping people off? He said he has a weekly contract, so he is obligated. Some people may get upset if he doesn't show up to get the tall weedy spots knocked down
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I can see annual contracts but now with weekly mowings.

There are other services you can provide besides mowing dormant grass.

7. SSmith

SSmith Banned

I guess if he does all the other stuff besides mowing he isn't....maybe.

I see guys all thru now and August mowing when it obviously doesn't need it, though. If they don't have 12 month contracts or whatnot they're ripping people off. I don't know why people pay for dust mows, but it's always irked me to see it done.

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

All of the weekly mowing contracts are for mowing only, all other services are contracted to other companies. If someone has a problem maybe they should word their service agreement differently.

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I would word mine differently. Even down here in Texas we do not have 52 weeks of mowing.

To be competitive we do not bid 52 weeks of mowing unless they over seed.

Just putting in my 2 cents and I think I can give more value to the client and get the same revenue.

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I won't work for people who are hard to communicate with.

if you don't speak English and speak it well forget giving me a call.