Our new custom leaf box

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by PerfectEarth, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems to be working out great. Whats the box weigh?

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Good question.... dunno for sure. probably 500 ish

3. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Sweeeeet setup.. Not sure if anyones recommended anything to you yet but I'd suggest getting one more extension piece on the debris loader to be able to load as close to the top of the box as possible. As of right now you'll only be able to fill your box maybe 85-90% full because the exhaust port enters the box a little low. I started mine off at 3/4 height and quickly learned it needed to be as high as possible to get the most out of your box.

4. PerfectEarth

Hadn't really thought about that... one more piece might be too tall (?) I'd have to measure.

After running it for two days, it's loading great. I don't think in the past I've loaded a leaf box to 100% full! The exhaust pipe on the old dump trailer box was really low- and it filled up fine (just left a little void near where the vac blows in)

The Piranha blade really does a nice job on this Billy Goat. We jammed a ton of leaves into this thing before dumping yesterday (it dumped great btw)

5. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Awesome box, looks very well built.:weightlifter:

6. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I'll tell you what, I have the same Billy Goat Loader with the tailgate mount and we fabbed up a mount off our Boss Plow Mount so the vac mounts in the front and we don't have to worry about taking the loader on and off to dump. I highly suggest it. Your set up is very nice and with it on the front you wouldn't have to risk an accident to that leaf vac.

7. PerfectEarth

Thanks for the tip. I've seen those setups on LS before... I don't at all like the front mounts. I'm quite happy with how it is situated on the tailgate- and now that we've done the "remove and dump" process, it takes very little time.. mostly thanks to the fork pockets we had welded on. It's not bad at all getting it off and back on.

We'll almost always have a trailer on the back of the truck while doing leaves. And if you see in the pic, we have a ratchet strap that lightly "tugs" the vac back towards the box, which really helps to relieve the bounce and sag of the vac on the back, due to it's weight.

8. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes LawnSite Member
    from NH

Very nice setup, but I would upgrade the straps that hold the box in to a heavy duty strap or chain it in. It will move around once it gets full.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. M&S_Lawncare

M&S_Lawncare LawnSite Member

Any updates or issues since your last posts over a year ago??

I have same truck and thinking about similar set-up but wanted to see what you would change Etc if anything.

10. PerfectEarth

No updates on the leaf rig! Just been staring at the box sitting in the shop lot all year long, making no money!! haha!

I can't wait for the leaves to start flying soon. Same set-up this year, no changes planned. I would maybe have the back door hinges a bit better built... and now that I'm thinking of it - perhaps some better options/tie-down points on the box to secure it even better in the truck.