Our PGP's leaking.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Aug 4, 2008.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

We installed several PGP's with backflow gaskets and they still leak like crazy.

We are trying to stop about 50' of 1" pipe and about 5' rise from dumping the water out the heads. In the past, just installing the gaskets did the job but these 5 heads all leak to the point of washing the new seed and creating a problem.

Any one having the same trouble? We are looking for help before we swap them out with I-20's.

John

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Check valve is supposed to be good for 6 ft of rise . You can try putting in 2 , I have had luck with that in the past. Are you sure there is no debris in the valves?

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Are all the heads check-valved? Any dirt in the lines? Try a head on a test rig? (a vertical pipe filled with water with the head connected to the bottom with a couple of ells, so you can see how high a column of water it can hold back)

4. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you have the check valve installed correctly. It fits backwards almost as well as it does properly.

5. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, all the heads are check valved.

News to me that the check valve (gasket) can be installed wrong. It looks identical on both sides to these old eyes.

Will try some more troubleshooting.

John

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Remove the check from the highest head, and that will help you diagnose a weeping valve.

7. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

My bad. It is the Hunter Pro Spray check valve that can be installed backwards. The PGP check valve is pretty much impossible to put in backwards. I just remember some serious head scratching when trying to resolve the same issue.

8. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a pic of PGP strainer with check-valve, and a PGP w/o the check-valve strainer basket.

From HUNTER website

PGP CheckValve 30213.jpg

9. WalkGood

Removing the strainer basket (has no drain check valve).

PGP CheckValve 30214.jpg

10. WalkGood

Strainer w/o check valve next to a drain check-valve strainer. And the PGP guts with no strainer installed.

PGP CheckValve 30215.jpg