Our Site....feel free to look and comment, critique

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by MDLawn, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Started and ended 20 years of military here. Met my wife. Started, upsized, downsized, sold, boughtback, reupsized my business. Thought about moving back but really don't want to start all over again.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Man talk about ups and downs! Yea I'm trying to get everything going in the right direction to see where this takes me. I really enjoy being outside and doing the work and would like to get this really going, havent made the full jump to it. But I want it all lined up so if the jump happens a lot is already going forward. Good luck to you this year!

3. greg8872

greg8872 LawnSite Senior Member

The description of each page should be specific to the page to help search rankings. See http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35624#1

Think of it if you had a separate page for "New Sod", if you had a generalized "site" description here, it would be less effective than a description about providing service of installing new sod. Then when people google something like "replacement sod" it can have a better chance of matching. (Granted the world of SEO is an ever changing beast)

Because you are using Yahoo Site Builder, you may be limited tow hat all you can clean up (to be honest I have no idea what all control they give you over the site.) If you have full control over the code, then you will be able to get it going. Let me know if there are any particular items you need help with.

As to the slideshow for the portfolio, again it would depend what level of control you have over the site. If you can put whatever code you want, you may want to look at adding a light box, see the examples here: http://lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/

-Greg

4. MDLawn

Makes sense. Looks like I have some work to do. It was interesting putting other websites of other local contacts and even professional places through that validation. Some of these places were worse than me, and they are high profile professionals!

5. greg8872

Think that is bad, Microsoft made a BROWSER that didn't follow the standards (which is why there is the term "death to ie6"). So many years we had people developing sites, only testing them in "what came with the computer (internet explorer)", so instead of learning to code correctly, they learned to make it look good there. </rant>

-Greg

6. MDLawn

Greg,

Again I dont understand much of whats said in that validation page but this is one of the things that seems to be much of the problems

Line 135, Column 366: "SOFT" is not a member of a group specified for any attribute… Park, Hamburg, and others in <br soft>the WNY area.<br soft></span></b></span…
    It high lights this (in red) in many of the phrases.

7. greg8872

The reason it is complaining is because there is no valid attribute soft for the <br> tag. Sounds like it is something Y SiteBuilder adds for it's own reasoning, but if you can, remove it. (if not, you will just have to ignore that one)

For more reference, see http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_br.asp
    (actually, for most tags, is you want to learn more, use the above link but change br to the one you want, ex: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_li.asp )

-Greg

8. MDLawn

So if I can get to this just get rid of the word SOFT on that line?

9. greg8872

yes, leave it as just <br>

10. MDLawn

This is on error too as well.

Line 48, Column 2471: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES…der="0" width="150" height="33" alt=""/></a></td></tr></table><!--$end exclude…

Just eliminate this the / ?

Sorry I dont understand all this.