Our Updated Website- Opinions WANTED

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by Mow Mony, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

We are looking for some input on our website. We used a Gopher website template (Thanks Gopher)

Our main goal is not to have an interactive, or overly busy website, but to let potential customers know what makes us different from other companies, and give them more information about our company and our services.

I would like to state up front, the website is not finished, but about 90% completed...and web page design/editing skills are very limited, so that is part of why our page is so basic. I also realize there is a DEAD links page (will be changed/fixed soon) and the tabs on the main page don't all look the same(will also be fixed soon) and we are going to add a picture of us and our crew to the About us page, and add some more images to our pictures page...so besides those errors:laugh:

But we are about to start our mass advertising campaign mid-March, and we are trying to direct people to the website. I know a lot of you have very nice websites, and much more marketing knowledge than I do, so let me know what you think!

All input is appreciated.

2. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

I think it looks great, a fine job!!
  3. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

Where on the page are you going to put your phone number?
  4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I really do not like those Gopher templates...and I went through the website and your number did not stand out anywhere maybe add it to the top of each page...jmo
  5. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

I do have some thoughts about what you said,

I would rather direct people to a phone number so I can say hello and someone will be out to give you a proposal on the work - what is a good time for you?

don't make them take another step or divert their attention away from just picking up the phone and calling you.

To many people worry about how nice their site looks first, then it sits 36 pages back at 368 on a search result,

even on the front page of a search result, at the bottom half of the page your not going to get many calls,

if you get a position where your getting calls and its bringing business have someone design a template for a hundred bucks,
  6. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

It is on the contact us page...maybe I should make it bigger.

It is very basic, next year we will probably have one designed. I may add the number to our home page as well.

Thanks for the input. We aren't hoping/planning to get much business from search engines, though any we do would be nice. Our main goal, is for the people who see our trucks, or get our mailings, to remember the domian, and check out our website. mjslawn.com is very easy to remember, much easier than our phone number, so we are advertising it on our trucks and signage. It will also hopefully help with brand recognition for our company after a while... I am trying to direct people to the website because it gives them a lot of information, and its an online portfolio to showcase some of our nice properties. Our flyers have both our number and our website listed, the website is bigger because thats where I want them to go, but they can call us as well. I get way too many calls from people who don't want to pay our minimum price, one time cuts, way out of our service area etc...I am hoping to weed these calls/estimates out as it wastes a lot of time. I would rather they look around on the site, see whether our services/pricing/billing fits their needs, and then decide to call us. We are pretty selective about the new clients we add.

At this point, we are not looking to add a lot of clients, maybe 30 or so this season. We are planning on distributing 10,000 flyers this spring, so we should be able to selectively add the customers we want.

Most of our business comes from direct advertising(flyers). I see what you are saying about the website coming up in searches, and I am trying to optimize it for search engines, but have a lot to learn in that regard, most of it is way over my head.

Note- We do come up 1st if you google mjs lawn, and around 5th if you google mjs lawn service, so we are pretty good for those keywords.
  7. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

any more advice... anyone?
  8. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

more opinions wanted...thanks in advance for your input!
  9. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

phone number on the contact us page is not enough. It needs to be on the home page in view every time your website is opened in a browser. Make it easy for someone to contact you. Remember you have 8 seconds (or less).
  10. Mow Mony

Mow Mony LawnSite Member
    from VA

Thanks for the advice, we will be adding the number to the home page somewhere that it is easily seen.

Any more advice?