Oustsourcing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kobisk, Jan 20, 2004.

1. kobisk

kobisk LawnSite Member

Hey all,

I was wanting to get everyone’s opinion. Here is my situation My father-in-law and Brother-in-law have been installing and servicing irrigation systems approx. 25-30 installs per year for the past 2 years, they have recently started doing landscaping and also ponds .They also have around 5-10 regular lawn maintenance contracts, and do have a few snow removal contracts . I have been helping them out for approx 2 years, they used to work for another contractor before that time. My job in IT may soon be outsourced. I have always loved working outside and I did lawn maintenance for approx 11 years during school. I have designed several of the systems that my father-in-laws company has installed. Am I crazy to go from steady paycheck to working with father-in-law in his 3 man operation? By the way I have a wife who is a speech pathologist and I get along great with my inlaws, I have 2 kids and it will involve a move of 150 miles. My wife has other job prospects so she will still be employed. My main concern is being able to provide for the kids, otherwise I would do this in the drop of a hat since I have never considered working with father-in-law and brother-in-law “work”. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kris

2. kobisk

kobisk LawnSite Member

I thought I would include the market size. Almost all work has been done in a town of about 5000 and they have many new houses going in. THe nearest major market ( which will sound really small to most of you) is approx 47K-50K. I think there is room to expand the business, since there is not many providers in the area. In comparison the are where I grew up is about the same size 47-50K maybe a little smaller and has twice as many providers. Thanks again.

Kris

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

If there is any way you think you can leave work at work and family with family, go for it. If you can't leave family matters at home, or work matters at work, then forget it. It doesn't matter how well you get along with your inlaws, sooner or later something will break on you (your fault or not) and you will always be blamed for it. Think about how that could be hung over your head at Thanksgiving....

If it was me, I probably wouldn't do it. I value my family too much to go to work for them.

Dan

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome Kobisk and D Felix to lawnsite! D Felix makes a very good point about your family. I think I would do what your heart desires and do what will make you the most money also. It sounds like you really want to do it and you are good at it.

5. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

Kobisk,
    Wow we have a lot in common, First thanks again for the info on my thread. I was in the IT field for 10 years and then one day in 2000 they closed the doors. I have two kids a wife a home three cars and and all the bills that go with it. I worked at a school district before the IT field doing lawn maint,snow plowing. so i just decided (while crying in my beer) that i'm going to start my own lawn care and snow plowing services. oh yea it is scary as hell to go from a paycheck to making your own paycheck but it is worth all the problems. i'm happier, stronger person, and even good money. so you ned to make that decision and go with it full balls no turning back and you will see you made the right choice. e-mail me and we can talk more.
    DReda@alwaysgreenerlawn.com

6. dkobisk

dkobisk LawnSite Member

Kobisk,
    I have some important questions to ask you. Please e-mail me at dkjobs21@yahoo.com. Thanks!

D

7. IndyPropertyCare

IndyPropertyCare LawnSite Member

Kobisk.... welcome to the IT jungle ;) We used to be in IT telecom.... then we got smarter..... LOL :cool: