out front mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lsu03, Mar 5, 2008.

1. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

it seems EVERYONE around here has one of those gravely outfront like 60" mowers. what are the advantages and disadvantages and how much do the gravelys run?

2. lickliss

lickliss LawnSite Member

I run the gravely 260z and a 60" xz, the outfront I assume you refer to. Gravely also offers the older "three wheel" model of which I can't recall the model number. The xz mows more productively for me. I can get closer to any obstacle, under trees and shrubs and generally minimize trimming hours with the more maneuverable deck. Aside from that the mower offers no real advantages. I reviewed the xz for Turf magazine a few months back. I found shortcomings in fuel capacity, I am not convinced the Kohler is a better powerplant than the Kawasaki, I have had no issues however.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

If trailer space is a concern might want to steer away from a front mount.

4. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

I have only seen the gravely at a show never in operation! The only front cuts around here that I ever see being used is the Encore and Grass Hopper and walker units!

5. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

they look like a wb with a permanent wheeled-looking sulky and a pitchfork looking steering wheel. you control the speed with a pedal.

6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have a toro front mount deck. Great for mowing around bushes, evergreens, etc. Don't utilities as much as i would like. If I was to get a new one - I would look seriously at the EXMARK. I demod that machine and that machine is awesome!

7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i used the three wheel gravely years back,it was good back then but didn,t compare to a z.takes up more trailer space

8. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

the guy that mows my neighbors yard ran a gravely 3 wheel for as long as i can remember, and there yard always looked awesome! but now he is on a grasshopper.

9. Have you seen this mower Hustler has out 4wd, kinda pricey though.

hustler.jpg

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

My cousin had a 72" Toro Groundmaster out cutting with me one day and when I say my Super Z was cutting circles around his mower, I mean literally cutting circles. We were cutting a 400' straight run and I would cut the 400' and meet him one third of my way back. I could see it rode like a two horse wagon, he was bouncing all over the place, I'm not even sure if he was able to run its top speed, whatever that is. I would say in a days time I could cut probably twice the grass he could with a 6" less wide deck. His mower would beat your brains out while the Super Z with flex forks and flex seat cutting at 15 mph rides good.