out-front ZTR's: blade tip speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Jan 21, 2001.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

looking at a Lesco 52" ZTR with front deck; power to blades via PTO/solid shaft, which I guess is common for out-fronts. I've seen previous mention that blade speed is less than machines with power supplied via belt.
    But I also recall seeing an ad once, with the manufacturer touting high blade tip speed for his out-front.
    I'm confused. Does anyone have information or hard facts on this subject? For the type of accounts I have, quality of cut is important.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The advertiser probably WAS claiming high tip speed-and it probably was. But, not nearly as high as a belt driven. As a matter of fact, it COULD have even been claimed the fastest blade tip speed in it's class. Key phrase being "in it's class." Are you talking about one of those great big mowers? And only a 52" deck? Why would you want to do that? Tha's like putting a shovel on the front of an excavator.

[Edited by Runner on 01-21-2001 at 09:29 PM]
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Find out who makes that mower for Lesco and look up the info on that companies website. I have not heard who makes their out front mowers.
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

the hustler front mount side discharge decks:
    60" - 18,930 fpm
    72" - 18,253 fpm
    these decks go on 2 different front mount type tractors from 23hp to 54hp 3000 series and 4000 series.
    the drive shaft that drives these deck turns 3000 rpm
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I think I remember some one saying that OSHA regulates blade speed at a maximum of 19,000 ft.per min.
  6. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

is that a NEW lesco you're looking at? i haven't seen the new models.a friend bought a new lesco 'buot 2 years back (98 ? model).this model is the one that resembles a Walker.had nothing but problems and had the dealer take it back.seems it was another of those Walker look-alikes i.e. Scag turfrunner,Bobcat LYNX,etc.
  7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

Bob i think i read somewhere that OSHA Limits are 1900 Ft-per-min. Most of the brand names do run around 17 to 18 Thats plenty of speed.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You mean thousands, right?