1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Out of Business in NE Ohio due to Thieves!

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by Trueblue108, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Trueblue108

Trueblue108 LawnSite Member

Well, we got the call from our insurance company, State Auto, to tell us they were not renewing our policy. Just wonderful, right? When all was said and done, we had about $40,000 in losses and were reimbursed about $31,000. We will have to eat approx $9k, struggle to find a new insurance company, and pay out the nose for higher rates.

What companies do you guys use and give me your impressions, please?

B

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

typical insurance company....you buy insurance for situations like stolen equipment...but heaven forbid if you actually make a claim. They fight tooth and nail to not pay you for your claim and then they drop you after the claim.

3. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

Theres a ad on Columbus C.L stolen equipment.. i posted it on here., We have State Farm you pick the price to cover. All mine is covered for more than its worth.. We love our insurance, laid back policy ever. I have been thinking of some low jack type system. We got robed at a garden show during tear down last year. $800 cash laptop with everything on it, and my lead book from the show 30 leads for hardscapes... Killed my year, it was another company that did it..

4. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Why just kick them in the face, why stop there ?

5. straightlineland

straightlineland LawnSite Member

I have had numerous trucks and trailers stolen over the years. 5 trucks to be exact. We have gotten 3 of them back thanks to gps. I urge all of you guys to consider getting gps. We us fleetmatics. Awesome system as well. System will notify you of start-up on your smart phone. The last guy who thought it would be fun to take one of my trucks was apprehended within an 1 hour.

6. basic lawn

basic lawn LawnSite Member
    from nj

WEll I was thinking about the idea of hiding a cell phone somewhere in/under trailer/ mower, or /truck , and if stolen you can trace with some sort of gps locator program"

Another possible solution:
    How about those tags they use on dogs or other animals? We should be able to conceal it in trailer or mower? I do not have exact solution, just pondering.

Does this make sense?

7. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe just tie a long string to the truck, then when you notice it's gone, just follow the string from your shop to the crook!:laugh:

8. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

This actually sounds like a brilliant idea. Not so much as a tracer as it is something to identify the EQ.

9. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen LawnSite Member

Glad to hear you got the part that you needed the most back...thieves got me in June and it wasn't a full time machine, just a spare, but still sucks when you lose another one the next week and need what isn't there...

See below on my insurance experience...

That's how my Nationwide policy was, pick the price to cover. But when something happens and they total it, I get 3800 for a mower that I had 8K in coverage on.

Check the fine print in your policy, and if it is actually covering whatever value you put on it no matter what, I'm switching first thing Monday morning. I looked at a couple other companies and they all depreciate everything to actual cash value.