Out of control weeds...what to use?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Desoto_Lawn_Care, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Desoto_Lawn_Care

Desoto_Lawn_Care LawnSite Member
    from FL

My Uncle's yard is St.Augustine grass and it's a new house, the sod was layed down probably 6 months ago and the weeds are out of control. We had a drought during the early part of this year and the grass got almost no water so there are alot of yellowing areas. He wants the weeds to be gone and the grass to come back green. One time I used Scott's and it burned the hell out of my yard - should I be looking for something with less chemicals?

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

you should looking for a local professional to take care of your lawn.

3. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

bingo, sounds like the lawn has multiple issues, spend the money, save yourself the headache

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Use Weed-b-Gon from a backback will get broadleaf....grassey weed could be a problem since msma kills St augustine.

5. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

I've had luck with bahia weed-n-feed from Lesco. Not cheap but works.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Which Scott's did you use. They make a Bonus S just for St. Aug, Zoysia and Carpetgrass. It will kill any other species. I usually have good luck with sod patches made by cutting a standard piece into fourths and using them as big plugs. Water well and use starter fert. The St. Aug will spread and should choke out the weeds. This approach sometimes works better than blasting everything with weed b gone. It is not an overnite fix though like all new sod would be.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

ericg likes this.
  7. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

Like we always say "GO PRO BRO"

8. Superbrock

Superbrock LawnSite Member

You do not want to use any type of weed and feed this time of year. I would begin a pre-emergent program and collect the clippings if possible. You can also apply Manor and Quicksilver (spray) which is heat tolerant and very effective.