Out of gas????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Green-Cuts, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Green-Cuts

Green-Cuts LawnSite Member

Hey
    I have read somewere that someone had attached like a 10-12oz water bottle on there mower of gas that way if they ran out they would not have to go back to refuel. What do you think of this, is it a good idea or bad?

Thanks
    BJ

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

it is completly dangerous. the bottle is not made to store gassoline and it is running near an engine that could cause it to ignite. if you are worried about running out of gas, then look at your gas gauge on the mower, if you are running low, then refill. but always have the mowers filled with enough gas before you start the job so this does not happen. DO NOT DO THIS

3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

How could you run out of gas? Doesnt every lawn crew have reg and 2 cycle cans with them ? You can use 2 cycle if youre in dire need, it wont hurt your mowere, just lubricate it a bit. As for putting gasoline in platic water bottle? LOL

4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with Mike.... its bad news bears...

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We fill up every morning and are good for the day. But we also do carry an extra 36 gallons just in case.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea the gas will eat right thru a water bottle,carry gas in approved containers ONLY!

7. Firefighter1428

Firefighter1428 LawnSite Member

I agree this is very dangerous and should NOT be done. Being placed near the engine the bottle could melt, leaking gas fumes could ignite (Gas has a high flash point, the gas fumes are highly flamable and more of a concern) I do not recommend storing gas on or near your mower, Secondly that little bit of gas isnt enough to make that big of a difference when out mowing, It may add an extra few minutes of grass cutting but its not worth the time, effort and danger, Its just easier to walk to the trailer and grab the gas can.

While talking about gas cans and fires, Use caution when storing your gas cans on the trailer and while placing mowers back on the trailer. Use common sense and keep the gas cans and mwers as far apart as possible, Specialy with the self venting cans.....

Just a heads up and thought from a fellow Landscaper/Firefighter. Good luck this season and stay safe.

8. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

You could accidently drink that instead of your water! Then you light up a ciggy and poof... your outta business.

9. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I will attest to this myself. did that once and ONLY once when I was 13.

have your crews fill up the mowers EVERY morning before leaving the yard, check the fuel level around lunch, and refuel as needed. dont wait till its dangerously low to fill er up again. this should eliminate the need to carry fuel with them.

10. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I read in a book, that the guy will top off the tank before each lawn so that he never runs out while working. If he runs out anyway he says never refill a gas tank while the mower is on the grass because spillage will occur.