1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

out of luck?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Frontier-Lawn, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i just bought 2 bags of lesco fert. left it in my truck bed to go to pickup my wife at work got home and i pourded rain, both bags are soaked with water inside. is the fert still good?
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Been There and done that with a lot more than two bags. The problem how comes on how to get rid of it. First you can put down a tarp and spread the Fert on it raking out the clumps. The clumps can be used in Planter beds if broken apart and spread. The dryer stuff might be able to be spread after it has dried out but it will have lost a lot of N by volatilizing. Wet Fert is best to just throw away but that becomes a moral decision. I don't think there is a law about throwing it in the garbage. But I would suggest you spread it as best you can on a pasture or field of some type and throw the bags in the garbage can.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I had the same thing happen to about 15 bags of 32-3-8 in the back of my truck. PLASTIC bags do not keep out any kind of moisture. I learned the hard way.... It was a drizzely day, nothing more than drizzle. I needed to do some running around and didn't feel like unloading them out of my truck bed, thought the "plastic" would keep them dry "it's just a drizzle". WRONG!!!!! Ruined all 15 bags. Black and gooey inside. One $200 mistake.... Ouch!

Actually I stacked them in a corner and a year and a half later looked at a couple. They were actually pretty dry and not a big brick like I thought they'd be. I still wouldn't use them since I didn't trust them but I had a buddie that had a huge lawn and I let him spread a couple bags and he said they spread OK for him. Well OK for him isn't exactly up to my standards. Either way I let him have them.

Oh. I agree about the disposal of bad fert. You really should not throw it in the trash dumpster. If your landfill has a hazzardous materials site, it belongs there. I know there are tons of homeowners that toss chemicals and fertilizers and other toxic matter into the trash to have it slowly leech into the ground. But I'm not one of them!
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Another idea would be if you've got a compost pile, or someone you know does, give it to them and spread it periodically on it.

It'll help break down the compost a little faster.

It's what I do when I'm too lazy to take the last 2 bags out of the back of the truck at night, and get up to rain in the morning :) Or give them to someone that wants some free fertilizer.
  5. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

well $28 more and i now have 2 new bags. this time sealed in a rubermaid tool box!
  6. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

I always use wet bags as amendments in flower beds. Unpredictable N release coupled with bad spreading makes for problems when applying to a lawn
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Loonies lawns

Thanks for expanding on my 1st grader statement about spreading in planter beds. You say the same thing, but in a lot less words and more understandable.
  8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, you could spread it in mulch beds, or if you have a lot of accounts that you fertilize, fill your spreader with good material and just dump a little of the moist "bad" fertilizer on top, mix it around, and you'll be good to go. A days worth of spreading and you should be able to get rid of at least one bag. It's not a quick solution, but it's environmentaly friendly. I've gotten rid of lots of "bad" fertilizer that way.