1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Out of state installation

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by just pondering, Nov 22, 2010.

1. just pondering

just pondering LawnSite Member

Being that i live in Michigan i was wondering if anybody knows how i would be able to start installing water features out of state durring the winter months. Does anybody do this and if so how?

Thanks
    Jeff
    Pondering Waters

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Before you put spade to earth you will need the proper and required documentation on a State, County and Municipal level. This includes Sales Tax, where applicable; certifications, if required; required level of liability and Workman's Comp insurance and all licenses and permits. By the time you get through all of the Red Tape, it will probably be Spring and you won't need to look elsewhere.

3. just pondering

just pondering LawnSite Member

I guess your right,but i would still like to try.

4. tadpole

On the bright side, you should have to go through the 'Red Tape' only once. After that, maybe only yearly license renewals.

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I disagree, it's easy, I have never run into any significant red tape, it is simply interstate commerce. it's not that hard, all you do is register with the states department of revenue and at that time they give you the details of your tax liability and procedure for submitting it. Go to the states web site where you will be doing the work for accurate info and it may be possible to register on line. some states will make it easy for the tax revenue.

6. tadpole

States may have different requirements. Here in Florida, you need county license for each county in which you do business. Granted there are those that ignore this requirement, but there are penalties if you are caught unlicensed. I can think of nothing worse than being shut down in the middle of a project by a local official because of lack of a license.

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

That would be embarrassing....

8. juststartin

juststartin LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmm. I don't know about this. Your saying all of you work only in one county or have multiple bus licenses for each of the counties you work in?

My feeling on a business lic is that it is TOTAL bull. It doesn't make you any more competent or legit. It is just another tax these bastards can collect. And the more employees you have the more they nail you.
    Posted via Mobile Device