1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Out of State Mower Purchase?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

Allright, I have pricing mowers and trying to decide which is the best for me. While doing this I have noticed that most of you guys are paying $500 or so less than me and this is on a mower that is only around $3000. It would be worth it for me to drive to another state to get my mower. Would give give me any warranty issues? Would my local dealers still do warranty work for me. They would just think I moved from another state because I have never purchased anything from them.:confused: ;)
  2. i live in Illinois ..my main dealer is in Indiana ..i have had no warranty issues ...but he's still local and i take IT back to him.

Now if you buy from a dealer far away and expect a local dealer to service something you didn't buy from him ....he ain't gonna make you a priority .You wont be high on his to do list if he will even service it at all.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Most local dealers will not give you a loaner if you do not buy from them. They also might not be so quick to repair you mower compared to if you had bought from them. Weigh the difference in money and consider this first.....the best advice I can give you!!! If you are doing this full time and depend on your mowers for you main source of income, $500 is not that much for this added security....IMO.
  4. Husky03

So basically what you guys are saying is they will still fix it, they will just make you a last priority. I currently am not doing this full time as I am still in school, but I still cannot wait for any longer than 3 days to get back up and running.

Odin, Have you found mower prices to be high in IN also? Are they cheaper in IL?

5. husky03

Up here by northwest indiana ..prices might be a wee bit cheaper in illnois But no radical difference in price . Indiana dont charge as much sales tax.

I think your further south it might be different down your way.
  6. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

How many miles are we talking about here to pick up a new mower. Driving a an 8 cylinder truck and pulling a trailer can eat up a lot of gas. Save the miles on your truck and gas money. Talk your dealer down $100 and you probably wont be paying to much extra.
  7. Husky03

I am probably talking several hundred miles, but is worth it to save $500 or more dollars. The problem with talking to the dealers about coming down is that they have to order most of their mowers. They do not just keep them on the floor. They probably cannot come down on price if they have to order them. I will be paying cash so I may have a good chance to get them to come down.