1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Out of the same spigot

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenUtah, May 23, 2005.

1. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

How many here are aware of the difference between a blender and a manufacturer when it comes to pesticides & ferts? I like to look for brands as much as the next guy, I suppose, but they are just that, brands of a particular marketeer. Do you shop by speciman label or by product name? I'm curious.
  2. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

In regards to Fertilizer:

Unfortunately, I find most brands do not give me the formulations I ma looking for. Most brands are marketed towards the $30/app guys and are all scu and MOP.

I find blenders a dn a few high-end brands are all that serve my needs. For instance, I use a 21-0-21 as a priamry fer that is amm uf/nutralene and SOP. have not found a comparable product ina ny of the big manuf.

However, as far as quality -- it all the same -- Lesco, Lebanon, Howard Johnson, etc. A few have better technology in palce such as Lebanon -- but they cahrge out the wazoo fo it too.

In regards to Pesticides.
    Brand can make a difference. It that adds $10/gallon that make s a big differenc ein the performance. the adjuvants, the pH balancing, etc. Round-up proves this to me againa nd again. There IS a difference between PoundupPro and a similar off brand glypho -- one I am willing to pay for.
  3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Thanks for your reply Lonnie. I agree..R-up Pro is certainly not the same as other brands' straight glypho, nor the same as the r-up concentrate nor the quickpro either. I have not encountered any of the offbrands adding surfactants yet, but that is easily remedied. but 41% of an active ingredient is still 41 %, right? We always had our own blends doen for granular treatments as well and of course, liquid, mixed for what effects we wanted on the properties in line for that day.
  4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Ive used a variety of blended and straight manufactured ferts. I think if you shop well and ask the right questions you will be ok. I will often try out a product before going crazy with it. I do think there are higher quality products than others as far as fert goes. However, as much as I would like to use Mesa for example, I can't even imagine paying the outrageous prices they get for the stuff.
  5. sprayman73703

sprayman73703 LawnSite Member

I have to disagree. Most generic glyphosates have the surfactant added. In fact I have to search to find one without it since I like to add my own so I can achieve some water conditioning. But any glyphosates is the same as roundup as long as the percent of Glyphosate is the same (ie 41%).
    All of these products will perform the same. The higher price is just for the ROUNDUP name, not for ingredients.
  6. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

One that has none is called "Glyfosate ".
    Glyfosate Pro or Plus had the surf. in it.
    The difference with all the Glyfo stuff is the quality of the surfactant .
    Honcho , Ranger and Round Up all have different qualities of surfactants and are all by Monsanto , I think .
    Could be wrong about the Monsanto part