1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

out of town or wont return my calls?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guthrie&Co, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

Well guys i picked up a new account and everything seems well. After the first mowing she said it looked the best she had ever seen. Here is where it pops a flag up to me. She states that she is wanting a retaining wall built, mulch and stone edging, and a putting green installed in the yard. no problem, i get a quote up for the first job and call her back on the phone. she says go ahead.blah blah blah. however i need a signature on my proposals before i can start and work and she completly understands that with no problems what so ever. now, i have called 4 times and i cant get anyone to answer the phone at work or home. what do you guys think? do you think she is balking on my or is she out of town? i am hoping she is out of town but i have a feeling otherwise. by the wayi am mowing the account tomorrow, so we will see i guess
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I would get the signature first. She could just be very busy, but if I were you I would err on the side of caution.
  3. Guthrie&Co

from nc

that is exactly what i was thinking. my policy is that i dont start any work without a signature. for anybody. it makes a warning sign pop up what something like this happens because it is common for a small contractor to get strung along and not get paid. they get you on the hook and promise you all of this work and then they dont pay.

thats why i have materials paid for up front.
    a signed proposal with company policies
    andpaid in full upon completion on each job. wether its at the same residence or not.
  4. Guthrie&Co

from nc

hey by the way, when was the last time you guys got some rain in virgina? i have a tree farm in bland.
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

It's been raining here quite a bit in the last two weeks. The temperatures had been very nice up until Sunday. It went fron the 70s to the 90s in one day.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It's normal procedure to get 1/2 of the materials up front for any contractor .
  7. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Really, because in this thread, you were among those who were apalled that some of us get payment for everything at the time services are rendered, or before.

You (and others) were in favor of net-30 terms for everyone. Anything else would be unprofessional. Regarding a customer who had not yet paid for a fert app, 2 cuts and mulch install, and had received at least 4 invoices already, you said:

Where was the 1/2 up-front advice there?
  8. Guthrie&Co

from nc

i usually double my material so in the end i get my material bill paid for at my cost. that way i am not left in the dark
  9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

scaby, i think sheshovel is a transvestite, and i think your client is trying to hump you.
  10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I don't and most bigger LCO's in NC that I personally know do not collect payment for materials up front. Personally I wouldn't do business with any contractor that did as that would make me leary of them and of their business financial footing. However with this one I would be cautious as it seems she is ducking you.

Also in case you don't know and don't have it, in NC you MUST have a seperate NC Landscape Contractors License to do that hardscaping. It is a Criminal Violation of the law to do any landscape contracting without it. You could get by on the mulch with no problem but not the retaining wall and stone edging. Also depending on where you are in NC you may have to submit plans to the local governing body and get approval on the retaining wall also. To get your Landscape Contractors License there is a link on the State of North Carolina Government Page. Go to licensing boards and you will find the NCLSC link. Remember they take doing hardscaping and not having this license VERY seriously, so much so that you can't even use the word "Landscape" or any variation of it in your business name OR your types of service without this stand alone license. If you do already have it then you'll understand that though.