1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Out the window with the "one third rule"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MATTHEW, Apr 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Has anyone else been overwhelmed in the past few days with the grass growing extremely fast? In the Northeast, we had a ton of rain and then 85 degree temps. These lawns would have to be cut every day or two to follow that one. I hit the ones I did 4 days ago and had do double cut and bag several. And it's only the middle of April!
  2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Couldn't tell ya....I'm still waiting to make my first regular cut of the season. These warm temps are helping show some signs of greening, but little growth is to be seen as of yet.
  3. johndeere455

johndeere455 LawnSite Member

I'm having the same problem here in Mansfield,Ohio, and the phone is ringing off the hook for yard bidding. I'm gonna have to take a days vacation from my normal job to just get caught up on mowing. There is more rain in the forcast. Money,Money,Money.

The Wright-Way Lawn&Landscape
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yep grass is growing fast. Especially the lawns that are fertilized.

We cut one our lawns, and came back in 5 days to cut it again because it grows so fast.

We received a note in the mail.

"Matt and Jodi,
    Although I get many compliments on my lawn, and I am very pleased with my service, I can not afford to have my grass cut more than once a week. I am paying over $200.00 a month for weekly cutting, and I can not afford me. Please continue to cut the grass only once a week. Thanks."

Double cutting that lawn is not unusual usually even way into July that's how fast it grows.

We shouldn't really complain though. Glad to have healthy lawns that need cut.
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

The grass has really taken off this week. I had to double cut everyone today and ended up working 2 hours longer than anticipated.. Oh well.
  6. smalltime

smalltime LawnSite Member

I was just thinking the same thing tonight while mowing my own lawn. I mowed it last Thursday and then again this evening. I had to double cut the front yard. I just raised the deck for the back and side yards.

We are supposed to get several days of rain now, so I wanted to get it done before the rain hit. It is a good thing. At the rate it is growing I would have been cutting 8 inch tall grass.

7. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

They have gotton WAY out of hand here, I have been informing folks that call for bids that I will NOT mow every other week Period. It is just way to hard to maintain lawns that way, amaizing how they think that it's not that bad, typical homeowner mentality.
  8. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

It is growing crazy, we had a lot of lightning around here the other day and a old wise tell says lightning makes the grass grow....whatever it is, its growing! Too Fast! But in August I am sure I will be saying geez I wish it would rain....
  9. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Cut one last Sunday and went back yesterday thinking, awe it wont be bad... YIKES...
  10. Every lawn I mow is mowed on an "as needed" basis.
    When it grows to 4" it's cut back to 3".
    I've been doing that for 20 years.

I won't consider "friday" cuts for the residentials until after the Fourth of July.

This is the fastest starting April I've ever seen.
    First week, and everyone's on a 5 day schedule, some could use it every 4 days.
    This April's going to have 6 cuts. May could have seven.

Ohio has phenomenol grass growth.
    We're far enough north to have 16 hour summer days.
    Plus we're far enough south to have the warm temps and rains.
    I sometimes have trouble educating plant managers from out of state.
    They find it hard to believe you can literally watch the grass grow here.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.