Outback Brush Cutter Opinions

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by keokuk, Mar 6, 2006.

1. keokuk

keokuk LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I own a piece of level land (11.4 acres) near Sutherlin, Oregon and am looking for a cost-effective way to clear parts of it- including some blackberry and scotchbroom. Some of this would be clear-cutting brush to leave open space (about 2-4 acres) and some would be clearing undergrowth around large trees.

I would be doing follow-up clearing as necessay later on. I also have a 2-3 acre meadow planted with rye grass that I would like to keep cut back on a regular basis.

Although a tractor with a bushhog would be great, I can get a used 11 hp Outback Brush Cutter (from a rental company) for around $900.

Given that I'm not working under a time-crunch, do you think the Outback could do the job and be a cost-effective answer?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

..................................................................................................I looked at the Dr's, if yours is similar, just make sure its at least a 10hp model, get yourself an extra blade or two.....and carry a good size flat file to sharpen the end 3-4 inches when doin alot of small saplings [ always remove the spark plug wire 1st]:usflag:
  4. warren piece

warren piece LawnSite Member

I would rent one for a day or 1/2 day first to see which one works best for your needs. Some rental companies will apply the rental fee towards the purchase price if you decide to buy it.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

They do good on rough cutting, like he stated rent it first and try,seems that if the brush is high will it push it down glad that it's flat,we had 1 in the shop bought it new it got run very little.
  6. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

depending on the amount and size of the undergrowth, a tractor with a rotary mower might be the best/only option. i don't know what an "outback" is, but the way you describe your acreage, i think that anything that you will have to walk behind will get old very fast. look for a used tractor in the 30-40 hp range. i know it will cost you more than $1100, but i didn't see where you were necessarily constrained to that budget.
    another option is to have someone do the initial clearing and then for you to use a combination of herbicides and a used commercial mower to maintain the area yourself.
    it really depends on your budget, what is type and size of the undergrowth, does the area tend to be wet, what you want it to look like and how much money you have to spend.
    do you have any pics
  7. keokuk

keokuk LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Very helpful. Thank you.

Most of the property is wooded and I want to leave it as "natural" as possible (less work that way!)

My clearing needs would be relatively small, especially after the first pass. The main on-going work would be keeping the meadow somewhat mowed down. I'd love to get a tractor, but since the land is currently a get-away, I can't justify the cost to my Finance Committee (guess who that is...)

BTW- You may know the Outback by it's other name: Billy Goat. The one I'm looking at is an 11 hp.

Question- Is there any part of the brush cutter I should be especially careful to check out before buying it used from a rental company?

Thanks again.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The 1 We Had Was Trouble Free It Slipped A Drive Belt That Was It,snapper Makes 1 That Is Better Setup Than The Goat The Handles Fit In Your Hand Better And The Transmission Shifted Better,don't Fear The Goat Clearing Land Is The Hardes't Work.
  9. computeruser

computeruser LawnSite Member

At $900 it would be a great choice. I have one of their older 8hp models and it is an excellent machine. Used it to clear overgrown land and to maintain trails in a nature preserve for years with no problems. It is a solid machine, easy to work on, and very durable. You would do well to buy it.