Outboard motor gas tank for genarator

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by desert rose gardening, Nov 14, 2011.

1. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I'm fixing up my old honda 2500 genarator and I found out my gas tank is shot. The best price I found on another one is $180.00 and I don't want to spend that much. I was thinking of using an outboard motor gas tank. I think it will work. What do you think?

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

i think you should buy the correct one that bolts on correctly. If you have a fire caused by the tank failure your insurance company may not pay. Maybe find a used one somewhere?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What's the model number on this gen-set ?

I don't see a top feed boat tank supplying fuel to a gravity feed carb unless it has a fuel pump.....

4. desert rose gardening

Its a 1995 honda EM2500

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

6. desert rose gardening

7. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not? Doesn't he just have to put it on top of the generator? What am I missing?

8. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

the fuel outlet on a boat tank is on the top ,while a gravity feed tank has it on the bottom .Its harder to use gravity to suck fuel upwards out of the tank .

9. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

theres a store up here in Canada [princess auto ] that sells surplus stuff ,tools,and other assorted crap [same tools as Harbour freight ,different colour though ] .Anyway ,I have seen genuine Honda generator tanks there for under $40.00 .These look like the tank a google search of your generator shows ,and even if its not exact ,I am confident it could be easily made to work for you .They have mail order ,and are usually very helpfull .

10. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

Right, but isn't that why you have a primer bulb in the fuel line of an outboard? Either the engine's fuel pump pulls the fuel, or you use the primer bulb to pump the air out until the carb float stops you. Once the line is primed, you can siphon with gravity all you want. All that matters is that the end of the line is lower than where it starts in the tank, not the path the line takes in the middle.