Outbreak of Weeds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clallen03, Mar 11, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that I signed to a yearly maintenance contract in Feb. About 2 weeks ago I scalped the lawn to prepare it for spring. Today I went by the property and and broad leaf weeds look like they are taking over an entire area for the lawn. It really looks bad and it is right on the corner at a stop sign, so many people see this lot. The neighbor across the street told me her yard has never looked like that bad before. I was so embarrassed, but he wants me take care of his property too, its treated by TruGreen.

Has this every happened to anyone after scalping a lawn? What should I do to prevent it? What would you recommend to treat it?

Thanks in advance
  2. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

You didn't do anything wrong by cutting the old grass down. You shed some light on a lot of little weeds and made them grow.
    If the lawn was sprayed properly with pre-emerge, you would not be having a problem. Also, a November application of Simazine and metsulfuron (or 2-4d based herbicide) can prevent many of your spring broadleaf problems.

All I have applied this year is prodiamine. I have done very little spot spraying of winter annuals.
  3. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

hmartin hit the nail on the head! What part of Atlanta do you live on. If you are not licensed then maybe I can help you out:weightlifter: You will need to a Post-Emergent Tri-mec,3-way or something such as that, The Prodiamine will help Pre-Emerge. Timing is everything!
  4. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

This job is in the South Metro Atlanta area, Fayetteville to be exact. I am licensed but I have little experience with applying these chemicals. I will pm you to give you my # so you can call me. I may sub it out to you because I have very little time to spray because I'm busy to with growing the maintenance portion of my business.
  5. Turf66

Turf66 LawnSite Member

You are very close to me!! call me if I can help you out. We cover form Henry to Coweta. Look forward to hearing from you.