Outdoor bar construction

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by dvlscape, May 29, 2008.

1. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

Is there anyway we can build on top of this patio area and not have to worry about movement over the years.

What I would like to do is build a frame out of metal 2 x 4s cover it with cement board, veneer it and build a grill in and put on a granite or tile counter. We would be building a grill in from the left side of the building over to the first post. Then build the bar from the first post on the left to the second post.

Or should we just saw cut the concrete out, and do construction as usual. 2-3' deep footer under and build up from there? any thoughts?

Peppleman, Anita & Dave 005.jpg

Peppleman, Anita & Dave 009.jpg

2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

Cut it and put footings in. who knows how deep those post footings are or if there is a footing under them.

3. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

You will need a Range Hood (extractor) over the grill so the ceiling dosent get covered in fat.

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

sink in some piles maybe? then build on top of that.

5. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't done anything like this before but I have built and remodeled plenty of houses. I think you would be fine, because from the way it sounds like you are building it, it will not be attached tot he ground, and as such the grounds movement would not affect the grill structural integrity since it is "floating". Kind of how a retaining wall can "float" and is not required to have a footer (below frost line yada yada).

6. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

Are you going to attach your metal framework into the existing columns, or design the bar around the columns? It would seem that if the concrete pad is in good condition, you could just start your structural framing on the slab and work your way up. The load of the bar would be transferred to the ground via the concrete. Do your research on the backer board. I would think the "green board" that is used in shower applications would be what you want to make it weatherproof. I can picture the bar in your designated location and it should be pretty nice!

7. dvlscape

dvlscape LawnSite Member

As far as the free floating idea, thats exactly what I was thinking, no need to fasten down to the concrete because our install will weigh a lot, its not going anywhere.

I plan on building around the columns as opposed to actually integrating them, don't see the need to.

I plan on having the grill actually about 1' past the overhang so i don't think there will be much staining on the ceiling in there.

The existing concrete is in excellent shape and shows no signs of movement.

So far some say footer, some say no footer. might i add that we are in PA, clay soil and freeze thaw, freeze thaw, repeat.

8. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Your concrete will be a fine base. I used to do these all the time. You may have some weight, but cmon, you are no where near what I have seen people put on concrete with large boulders and the like. The weight of a bbq unit spaced out over so many feet. That weight will be distributed so much that it won't be an issue IMHO. As far as the freeze thaw cycle, that should have already been taken care of under your existing concrete. Especially next to a permanent structure like that.

9. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

use the metal studs and hardibacker and put it all right on top of the concrete. that is actually the prefered way to do it. we even used pieces of hardi backer to level the kitchen since the pad is slopped. 4" of concrete is more than enough to hold up a grill area. heck, if a cement truck can drive across 4" of concrete why wouldn't you be able to build on it.

10. getthenet

getthenet LawnSite Member

You are talking about having the grill past the overhang about 1'. If you do that, I would keep your base on one slab of concrete or the other. Unless they are tied together which I don't think they are because of the drain between them. My only reason for this is one could move and the other not giving you problems in your countertops and walls of the cabinet. Should be fine to build on top of the concrete athough. Hope that makes some sense.