outdoor bar/ firepit question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by greenguy08, Jun 17, 2008.

1. greenguy08

greenguy08 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

What do you use for your base for a firepit? Homeowner wants to take an existing patio and add a firepit to the center of it as part of a renovation into an outdoor living area with a bar and grill. Any tips?

2. greenguy08

from ohio

71 views and no replies?

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats a good ? Im currently building a 22x 16' patio 60 ' sidewalk for my self. I do a lot of cooking and barb. and decided on a outdoor kitchen. I have the ped. built for bar table waiting on a piece of granite. I havent started my grill pit just yet but my plan is 5' long 2' inside deph. 3' high. I am going to have it at end of patio so it is not over the pavers though. Than i am going to have a steel box made for inside with a pan with a scissor jack to raise it. I figure on bottom just what i use for base and maybe throw some sand over it. I know i didnt answer your ? but thought i would comment on what i was doing. I think you would want some fire brick or something over the pavers.
    mike

4. greenguy08

from ohio

All of the completed fire pits i've seen seem to be wallstone or similar paver material. I'm particularly wondering about the base that will be exposed to the fire.

5. Mike33

I might be wrong but i think lay your block of paver with your regular base than add some sand over the pit area.
    mike

6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen lava rock used as a bottom for a dug in fire pit on the tube. Not sure if they used sand or screenings under it or not. It was just a bowl dug in a raised bed and lined with the rock, placed so you could sit on the stone ledge near it.

7. manfromearth

manfromearth LawnSite Member

Firepits can be built in a variety of ways. I've built them with firebrick as the base (providing for drainage), with gravel to allow rain to percolate, or with a mortared stone base (so far, no problem with heat damaging the masonry). Here is one I built several years ago with a mortared stone base.

Fire Pit with Seating.jpg

8. ericlemson

ericlemson LawnSite Member

Just out of curiosity, what does a fire pit like that cost? Im thinking about adding one to my back yard this fall. Thanks.

9. manfromearth

manfromearth LawnSite Member

It's been a few years on that one...I'd say about 3/4 ton of moss rock, 1/3 ton of flagstone, 20 to 25 cinderblock, 1 yard gravel, 1/2 yard of masonry sand, 2 bags each of type S mortar and portland, some muriatic acid, and 4 days worth of Subway sandwiches. Material - 650 Labor - 1500 Misc - 300 Total 2450, but you could probably do it yourself, over a couple of weekends, for the 650 (or probably about 300 or 400, because I have some mark-up on the material).

10. Mike33

I would say your the man for fire pits, looks nice.
    mike