Outdoor Booster

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Green Sweep, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member

Encountered this lovely configuration yesterday. People just purchased the home and needed to have the system winterized. Blew me away. It became obvious to me what happened. The installer put the system in without taking a pressure reading - 45 psi before RPZ. Then panicked and decided to throw a booster pump in so he can get paid. Booster does not even work and RPZ leaking. Provided an estimate for a new Pedrollo pump (INSIDE!) and a new RPZ. What a shame... system was well designed. Don't understand why this installer counldt finish the job properly.

wow.JPG

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Is there freeze damage on the RP & pump?

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We have areas of town where the pressure and volume dropped many years after a system was installed. Entire neighborhoods, and the water department says it's not their fault or responsibility. I have customers that have had boosters put in 5-10 years after an install due to the drop, and recently with new products available, we've fixed some of the systems in those areas with MPs, Toro Precisions, or redesigns.

4. Green Sweep

Green Sweep LawnSite Senior Member

Yep
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The guy was only a pressure tank and pressure switch away from a sound installation.

6. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

You don't need a pressure tank with a booster pump. I might be worried about noise indoors but it depends on where it's located.

7. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

It took me a while to learn to be cautious when criticizing someone's installation. You never know what the circumstances were, and don't count in the home owner to give you the whole truth.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. irritation

It looks like it had an enclosure, maybe a cheap pump and bad plumbing. Probably the homeowners fault for letting it freeze up.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It is usually easier to make a booster pump a self-contained water supply, and skip the relay control. More reliable, too. I would never install an RPZ and a booster without the tank.

10. irritation

You got to have the RP if on city water, before the booster pump. The booster pumps now come with adjustable flow sensors, so no need for relays.