Outdoor Equipment Store

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by matth04, Dec 7, 2005.

1. matth04

matth04 LawnSite Member

I have been thinking about opening an Outdoor Power Equipment Store. I thought about taking the money I've saved up from mowing. I was wondering if anyone hear runs their own store. What capital is required for start-up. There are several dealers here, but none dominant the business. I want to sell Scags, not sure about small equipment. Any ideas, advice would be great.

2. have lots and lots of money.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Might want to go to all the service schools first and get your engine technician certifications... And find you a building big enough to hold the probably $25K-$40K of stock that's probably required by companies like Scag and Stihl. Also, would you still be doing your mowing too? There's not a whole lot of LCOs that are going to be giving their purchasing business to a guy that is also competing with them for mowing accounts.. And if there are already a number of dealers in your immediate area, especially one that already sells Scag, you would probably be out of luck if Scag has a "protected territory" where they won't sign up another dealer right close to another one..

4. matth04

matth04 LawnSite Member

I wouldn't mow anymore. I would be strictly running the store. Appreciate the help

5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I doubt that any manufacturer will let you sell their products unless you are certified to repair them also. I don't see how you can only sell the big ticket items and keep regular customers. You really need a store that can cater to as many landscapers equipment needs.

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

To get a good visible location (I would rent to begin) and the franchise rights to sell Scag and the other brands you want and to stock the business with parts, etc.....between $500,000.00 and $1,000,000.00 should do it....and of course excellent credit has the brand makers you carry such as Scag will also require that in addition.

7. delaplane

delaplane LawnSite Member

I work at a Power Equipment Store. A little advice, have alot of money and alot of time. Get quality equipment lines and make sure you have something to sell when the grass isn't growing. Good luck.