Outdoor fireplace kit or build from scratch?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by exmarkking, Nov 18, 2013.

1. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Which way is better? Easier? Looks nicer? Cost difference?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. 360lawncare

360lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

We always buy the kits most come with the top ring which gives it a professional look.

3. exmarkking

They seem easy to put together. What about price verse just buying all the materials?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

This is kinda an open question.

There is nothing better looing than real natural stone.

The stuff manufactured by the paver and block manufacturers looks like Legos. It's not harmonious with nature. And yes, I will say I have seen some nice kits. And people have even posted pictures on this site of some nice stuff, but at the end of the day - its still Lego'ee.

5. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the kits that provide the 'skeleton' of the fireplace, then you veneer with your choice of stone. The paver company kits that are finished block are god awful
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. exmarkking

Yelp, that's what I want. Just the skeleton. That way I know it will work, and I can finish the stone myself. This will be for my personal home. We are a maintenance company so I don't ever install them for customers. I do have a huge stone yard near my home and I'm hoping they sale kits. They have every stone in the world to finish it with also.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Look up stone age
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. BlockHead23

BlockHead23 LawnSite Member

Or FireRock. That's what we use.

9. stihljixxer

stihljixxer LawnSite Member

The firerock kits are nice. You can always add wood boxes or other details to make it a bit more custom.

10. exmarkking

So I looked at the fire rock kits and the are really nice. Kinda expensive though. Could you build one way cheaper with center blocks? If the price to build one verse a kit isn't much different it would be better to go with a kit. If there is a huge savings building one from scratch then I would rather do that since it's at my personal home.
    Posted via Mobile Device