outdoor fireplaces

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bigviclbi, Jul 24, 2007.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I'd love some pics of outdoor fireplaces. Not pits, but real fireplaces. I am looking to install one of those prefab kits probably by firerock and I'd like to see what people have done with them. They look easy enough, I saw them at MAHTS and am itching to do one. Thanks!

2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

We juist did one made by Fire Stone. we used cultured stone on 3 sides and stucco'd the back with dark mortar. we also used rockfaced bluestone on the mantle and hearth. came out nice but I feel like the surround is cheap. I will get some pics tomorrow and post here.
    the fire rock is nice from the pics I have seen. we have a kit sitting in the yard, just haven't built it yet.
    this is the one we just built, we bought it unfinished and did what I said above to it.
    http://www.firestonehp.com/surrounds.html

3. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Are most people using pre-fab units for this application, I'm assuming that's what I see in all the paver magazines?

outdoor_fireplace_lr.jpg

4. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Say you want to add to the width of the prefab box. What's better/stronger/costeffective? Framing it out with wood, plywood lathe or mason block? I think I've seen it done both ways before?

5. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

the one we got is metal stud frame with wonder board over it. I guess you could expand it with the same stuff.