outdoor fireplaces

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by dubb, Jan 23, 2010.

1. dubb

dubb LawnSite Member

i have a customer that we will be building a patio for soon and they want a chimney fireplace. i have never done one of these before but have been researching alot about how to build one. if anyone could help me with the basics of building a fireplace it would be greatly appreciated and also about how much do you charge for install? o and if anyone has some pics of some they have built can you please post. thanks

2. Twitchy

Twitchy LawnSite Senior Member

3. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pay me to do it!

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Use that kit ^^^^ and then build around it with block for the shape you desire. Don't ask us how much to charge. Figure how much you need per day/hour and add that to your materials. The kit will be around $1,500.

5. Bustedblade

Bustedblade LawnSite Member
    from Ny

Make sure you pour a solid base, I've seen a few of those things tilt after a year or so.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. dubb

dubb LawnSite Member

i found a dealer that sells the firerock kits that is about 5 miles from me. they seem like a nice and easy way to build a fireplace and also not bad at all on the price. thanks for all the input guys

7. Pittsburgh Stone83

Pittsburgh Stone83 LawnSite Member

Depending how much you have in the bid will determine how you build it and with what materials. If you want to make it real easy just by a MOD from unilock.

8. dubb

dubb LawnSite Member

i have looked at the unilock mods but cant find a dealer anywhere close to chattanooga. also customer is willing to spend from 5-7k for the fireplace, i think the unilock is a little more expensive than that. they dont want nothing huge or real fancy just kindof a medium size fireplace with also a place on one side to store wood and they want the fireplace to have a stone veneer to match what is on their house.

9. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

i am currently building a couple prefab units in my shop. i can build these units for under a thousand. the rest is all profit. i am selling my first one around 1800 plus install. i am also a 4th generation mason and grew up around it so bricks run through my blood! i can do them cheap because i have the skills and knowledge.

10. dubb

dubb LawnSite Member

please post some pics, im sure we would all like to see your work!!