Outdoor furnace questions

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Mowtown Mike, May 18, 2006.

1. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

Hello to all, great website, first year in business and already I am super busy, eating dinner at 9pm.
    My question is what type of outdoor furnace should I get. I have a lot of hard wood from my spring clean ups that I saved. I buy only quality stuff. Not cheap material. I would like your opinion on this. I do not know what dealers are around either. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mowtown Mike

Mowtown Mike LawnSite Member

Could I get at least one reply? Is this thing working? Nobody has a outdoor furnace? Nor comments?

3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

around here, you can pretty much leave the windows open all winter. sorry.
    didn't want you to feel ignored so i replied.

4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

We have a brick outdoor fireplace we burn in. Did you google outdoor fireplaces or furnaces? By the way most of us are out in the field during the day so the replies should come in shortly.

5. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

What do you want to know? You need to research yourself some to find out what size wood you want to burn. Are you talking for your garage or your house? Unless you are a huge company, your spring cleanup wood wont last long. They are wood eating monsters, free heat, but alot of wood!! Do you know how they work? My cousin has one so ask away....

6. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by an outdoor furnace.

I burn coal as my primary heat, and wood pellets as supplimental. I burn wood in the fall and spring on days where I just need to take the edge off. Wood I get for "free", and it saves me on the other two fuels. I will burn anything, as long as it's not pine or other sappy woods. Every now and then, mysteriously..., construction materials happen to find their way into the stove too. Regardless of those woods, I'm a huge fan of free heat.

My two stoves are Harman. My coal is an sf250 and the pellet stove is a fireplace insert. I'm not sure of the model number. There is only one Harman pellet insert.

The coal is a manual feed and manual shake. That has it's ups and downs. The plus side is that I can burn wood (and anything else I care to dispose of). The damn cat was lucky it died elsewhere! :laugh:
    On the down side, is the ash pans. I don't mind humping the coal for feeding, but I don't particularly care to eat the ash when I dump it.
    Two years ago and previously, I did 14 ton. Last year, with the pellet insert running, I did half of that. I burned about 3-3.5 tons of pellets.

I've literally saved thousands by eliminating my oil bill. In 5 years, the savings has paid for the coal stove, a new chimney built especially for it, the pellet insert, and all the coal I have purchased thus far. In two more seasons, all the pellets will be paid for, in addition to all subsequent coal purchased. After that point, it will all be savings.
    I figure in another 6-8 years, the coal stove will be burnt out. If I can weld in replacement metal, fine. If not, 2K for a new one will be paid for within a year.

Oh, the coal ash is excellent on ice in the wintertime. Free non-skid!

Can't say for sure what it does to grass in large quantities though.... I'm usually careful as to how much I throw down. I really don't care to find out...

A

7. VT_K9

VT_K9 LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Hello,

I just purchased an American Royall outdoor wood furnace. I have yet to install it. I did quite a bit of research before buying. I found the warranty to be the best and the materials top of the line. I bought it just before the recent price hike due to steel. There are two places on line to see the American Royall. One is not the same as mine. The other is and they markings look very similar.

The dealer I bought mine from is a distributor for the New England area. I also work my full-time job with one of the owners so I have a lot of trust in him.

Check out:

http://www.americanroyall.com/blank.html

Call T&Rs in White River Junction, Vermont at (802) 295-8788 and speak with Reggie. He is the other owner and the furnaces are at his shop. They will also deliver.

Mike