outdoor kitchen ideas wanted

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by getthenet, Feb 1, 2008.

1. getthenet

getthenet LawnSite Member

What is everyone using to split blocks? I use a diamond blade for inside cuts but need something to split blocks on corners. The blocks are creta by simsstone and some other stones. I need to cut up to 6" thick by 12" wide. Any suggestions on brands and prices would help. Also pics of outdoor kitchens, types of block used on them, and types of counter tops being used would be helpful info. thanks.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Ill probably get scolded for this, but i split block the old fashioned way. With a chisel and hammer. Sometimes ill get a few bad breaks, but overall it works very well. I do also have a 20 ton press in my garage that I welded up two 1" x 15" blades for, but that thing is to big to lug around and it kinda scares me. Mostly used for equipment repairs. Havent built any kitchens yet so cant tell you, but I was at a house once that had a grill, kegerator, and sink installed in the block. Was pretty cool I guess.

3. getthenet

Here is a kitchen I did out of Belgard 3 sided block. I only cut on the inside. All outside corners are factory. Now I want to use a 2 sided block that will have to be split on the outside corners.

225.jpg

4. shovelracer

Like I said you can do it by hand, but Ive seen some nice portable leverage powered units on the net. If your doing this fulltime it would be worth getting a good one for the trailer. I think Belgard make one actually. Thats as far as my suggestions get. Sorry.

5. getthenet

thanks for the info. I have seen several of the portables on line but never used them. Maybe someone can tell me about them.

6. shovelracer

I retract that about belgard. Bon tool makes the one im thinking of.

7. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

getthenet: see you installed one of those firemagic big daddy burners. those things kick a$$. 60k btus of Tim Taylor action. Good looking kitchen, but i prefer natural stone for those situations.

8. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

did you install the the kitchen on top of the patio or did you build the patio around the kitchen. have seen it done both ways, wondering what method you used, and pros and cons of doing it those ways.

9. getthenet

This kitchen was installed on top of the patio as well as all of the walls. I would rather put the kitchen on its own base for 2 reasons. 1 Most of the time just like in the picture your patio needs to be slanted away from the house to keep water from standing and I would rather my kitchen cabinets be level meaning it needs to be independent on its on base. 2 If you do your patio seperate, you can put a border around the perimeter of your patio.

10. simsstonesalesman

simsstonesalesman LawnSite Member

Looks good . Lets see some more