Outdoor lighting demand?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Hicks, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Hicks

Hicks LawnSite Member
    from USA

I am a licensed electrician. I have been kicking the idea around of doing outdoor lighting. I was wondering what the demand is. I want to focus with commercial work, however Residential is of interest.

Thanks

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Nobody wants lighting these days, it's probably a thing of the past. Just joking. It does pretty well if you know how to design it properly and then install a maintenance free system. I have been an electrician for many years and never knew how much was involved in landscape and achitectural lighting. Do your homework and learn it as a craft instead of a trade and you'll do well.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

also depends alot on the demographics of your area.

4. Hicks

Hicks LawnSite Member
    from USA

Thanks for your input guys. Location Raleigh, NC.

Nightscenes, do you have any good links, book, threads that might be of use?

I agree lighting is a different animal or niche. I am on a research mission. I will continue searches on this forum.

Thanks again.

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

The first thing I would do is read this forum, there is a ton of info here. Then go to the AOLP website where you can check out their bookstore which will have all of the books that you'll need.

Raleigh should be a very good place for a quality lighting company.

Good luck,

6. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

There are several lighting compaines in the raleigh area. I'm sure there is room for more. Raleigh is a big area, plus it is growing.

Take what Paul said and spend some time on the site lurking and reading past threads. There are some great lighitng guys on here that have posted alot of great info.

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Check out The Landscape Lighting Resource Manual by Nate Mullen (Owner of Unique Lighting). Great book, but get the hardcover.

8. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Its the exact same book, but the pages are easy to tear out in the wirebound. If you can be careful the wirebound will be fine.

10. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

that's a relief! I ordered the wirebound over the weekend, I was afraid I made a huge mistake!