1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

outdoor lighting perspectives

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Flow Control, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone have any opinions on this franchise. I just spent 4hrs troubleshooting a install of theirs and scheduled another service call for next week to wrap everything up.
  2. Mr. Quik electric

Mr. Quik electric LawnSite Member

From my experience most of what they sell is junk.
  3. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Tim, Was that the franchise that moved into your previous area? I remember you talking about it way back. Are they still in business?

4. Firefly Lighting

Firefly Lighting LawnSite Member

We had several franchises here in Atlanta but they have all gone under. They install mostly Par well lights and copper path lights.
  5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Atlanta seems like the hot spot for lighting. Several huge players there its no wonder a franch buyer cant break into the market.
  6. Mr. Quik electric

Mr. Quik electric LawnSite Member

Keith, His OLP franchise went under. Too much junk to go back and service. We have an OLP and a NITELITES here also. Both dupe the customers into buying about the same caliber of junk.
  7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Its a shame these companies polish up a turd with fancy marketing and give the industry a bad name.

I just uncovered 6 mr16 vista well lights planted at the base of loriopetulums. Just goes to prove you need someone who knows plant growth to do really great lighting.
  8. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Franchises mainly offer 4 things: a brand, marketing support, products, and training. In exchange for these things, a significant piece of the profits is forfeited.

In evaluating a lighting franchise, you have to ask the following questions:

Is the brand recognizable and positive in my region? Can I establish my own brand to be competitive with the franchise brand? Can I get enough additional mileage from my association with manufacturers' brands?

Can I do my own marketing, hire people to do my marketing, or make use of manufacturers' marketing for less money than what the franchise charges?

Does it make sense to get locked into the franchise products or will my business be better served by making my own product selections from a variety of manufacturers?

Are there cost-effective sources of training?

My opinion: In the relatively new and emerging landscape lighting industry, few franchise brands have broad recognition. There are many cost-effective providers of marketing. It makes more sense to make use of the broad selection of quality products from good manufacturers. Low cost training is widely available.

It's hard to make the case for taking on a lighting franchise.

MAGLIGHTING LawnSite Member

Your post is very self serving. If franchise operations were using your product you would never have made this post. But since most franchise operations do not use main stream branded product it is in your best interest to discourage anyone from becoming involved in one since they would not be using you product if they did.
  10. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

So..Mike... I guess I don't get it.. Steve seems to be making some sense... he's even suggesting one is better off picking quality products from a variety of manufacturers... so what do you disagree with?

Your statements in opposition might even lead one to believe you're considering franchising your brand... if not, then just what is your beef?