1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Outdoor Living

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by AtoZ, Feb 9, 2007.

1. AtoZ

AtoZ LawnSite Member

Just wanted to get some input from people that are pushing the outdoor living concept...

I have started constructing my outdoor living room in the fall of 2006...

You can see where the project is now. The stamped concrete patio is roughly 40' by 35' with a firepit located in the center. Behind the fire pit are three round areas for some kind of water feature with lights - haven't quite figured the water feature thing out yet... The curved limestone wall is 45' long with rope lighting under the capstones - topsoil will be burmed up behind the wall and planted with Royal Frost Clump Birch with uplighting. The bar/grill unit is 16' long with an 8' bar with seating for 4 - There is a 36" built in convection grill with a refrigerator, icemaker and built in sink - plumbed for cold water only...

The firepit will have two outdoor couches around it. Where the crappy patio furniture is will be a dining set with seating for 6. Behind the dining set I will have room for a outdoor pool table.

I was going to build curved cedar benches to put in front of the wall along with large container planters but I now have second thoughts since I like the wall so much with the lighting on at night.

Around the patio will be extensive landscaping with limestone boulders and maybe a small pondless waterfall with Concolor Firs and Alpine type plants for that rustic mountain look...

Phase two includes an additional patio on the left side with 2 steps leading up to it. On that patio I will build a small cedar cabana and put a stone fireplace and my hotub in it.

I will also be building a cedar arbor with limestone columns going down the long sidewalk to the patio. I haven't quite figured out how to build a functional and attractive roof/canopy for part of the patio - for the time being I was going to use large umbrellas...

Any thoughts on my project so far would be appreciated - positive or negative...

Does anybody have any great ideas for this whole outdoor living concept???

I figured that I would have an easire time selling the concept if I could show potential clients the numerous possibilities in creating a customized outdoor living space...

2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

The berm idea sounds nice. now you can charge money for being the highest point in Iowa!!:laugh:

anyway, sounds real nice and looks great so far. good luck and keep posting pics of the progress.
  3. CedarStore

CedarStore Inactive

Outdoor living is something that's going to completely transform the home and garden industry. As far as your clients go, I would suggest using HGTV's The Outdoor Room with Jamie Durie as a way to show the endless possibilities. Most of his episodes are available online, so if you're corresponding with clients over email-- sending them a link to an episode that has a design that you think they might like, they'll get a better idea of what you're talking about.

Outdoor Furniture and Garden Structures are two of the biggest components of the outdoor room, though expert landscaping and garden design is essential to create dynamic spaces.

You obviously have the landscaping expertise covered, you might want to check out this Outdoor Living Blog for more tips and advice on crafting stylish outdoor rooms.