Outdoor Roof Support On Paver Patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MDLawn, Mar 11, 2009.

1. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Any ideas, rather proper construction, on this problem I am going to incur building my own paver patio. Currently there is an extension of the roof (kind of like a solid awning, wood, shingles, etc..) over a current cracked and sinking concrete patio that will be removed. In terms of support for that roof, should the posts rest on the pavers or should a seperate footing be creating to support the roof/awning? The roof covers an approximate 10' x 10' area. The patio will extend much beyond this area. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  2. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

You need a seperate footer at the appropriate depth for your area. Leave it below grade a sufficient depth to allow for your compacted base, bedding sand and pavers...
  3. MDLawn

Thanks. I was figuring this but just wanted some advice. Thanks again.
  4. Danscapes

Danscapes LawnSite Senior Member

5. MDLawn

Guys, another thought just came to me that needs clarification. Would I have the posts rest on the footer and then place base material around and bury those sections of the posts? Or just have the footer below everything and the posts on top of the pavers? Any good clarification about this would be great as I don't need my roof coming off. Again, Thanks.
  6. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

The post is buried in the footer, footer is below the frost line. You will put the base material right against the post. Make sure you compact really well around the post.
  7. MDLawn

As always thanks for the info!
  8. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

You could also pour your footer at the frostline and use a sonotube to bring the concrete to the level of the patio then attach your posts with a metal base bolted to the concrete. This resolves future settlement issues and rotting posts.
  9. MDLawn

I thought about the posts rotting too. I think that idea sounds good. Looks like I've got more work than I figured. But isn't it always that way anyways!!!:dizzy:
  10. MDLawn

Could you just use the sonotubes down to the frost line? I only have two 4x4 posts to support.