outfront or ztr???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lazyike, Dec 26, 2005.

1. lazyike

lazyike LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all pros.
    just found the site a couple of days ago and have gotten alot of ideas about my small mowing business.
    For the past 3 years I have been mowing just enough yeards to keep me busy on my 4 days off from my other job. ( I find mowing more enjoyable, and rewarding) and have decided to take it up a notch.
    I have lettered my truck and bought uniforms and have added an employee. (my wife), I am currently using a john deere 425 aws tractor because I needed the snowblower at my house in the winter but I bought a blade this winter so now I am looking at new mowers.
    My question is what are the mowing differnces of a frontmount Like a scag and a ztr like scags tiger?
    I have been oooing over the lawns that I have seen them cut even though the other mowing companys have let them go and they look horriable.
    Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas.
    Mike :waving:

2. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

I think you'll find most here will recommend mid-mount ZTRs for the sole reason they take up less space on a trailer. That's why most manufacturers have stopped making the 3-wheel front mounts (FMs).

FMs usually leave a better cut (less scuffing and scalping), possibly due to slower cutting speeds vs. ZTRs. However, in the hands of skilled operator (3-point turns), and to a lesser extent, the make/model of ZTR used, a ZTR can leave a very nice look as well.

FMs will have a much shorter operator learning curve and can reach under bushes and shrubs much easier than a ZTR. Reasons why I chose a 3-wheel unit, but I'm not a commercial operator, merely a homeowner with a large lawn with lots of trees.

All that being said, Scag makes great products, and in my area, has super dealer support. The latter being one reason I would not consider an Exmark. In fact, had I not stumbled upon my Ransomes at such a good price (budget limitation was a huge factor), I would have made every effort to get funding for a Scag STHM by wining-and-dining the CFO.

Hope this helped...