outfront vs. midmount

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snake1040, Feb 13, 2000.

1. snake1040

snake1040 LawnSite Member
    from fl

I run a walk behind right now I am looking to a ztr I had one before it was a woods with an outfront deck I was looking into getting a mid-mount deck because of the wheel base on it. I was wondering if there is any scalping with the mid-mount when going over a hill. How does the mid-mount preform compared to the outfront deck or does it even matter.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have the same question as snake. what about cutting close on obstacles, ie. brick walls, landscaping, bushes, trees with low hanging limbs, etc.<p>the out front decks are very popular in my area, particularly the gravely. unfortunately, most contractors I meet don't like to share information. as soon as I explain that I might be looking to buy one, they clam up. oh well, I'd been miles ahead if I'd known about this forum a few years back.<p>I demoed a lazer z last saturday. nice ride but the dealer had to work real hard to cut close around obstacles. this consideration is important as most of my cuts are small commercial and mature residental. lots of bird baths in the yards of the older homes!<p>thanks.<p>GEO

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Lazer with 60&quot;. Mostly small commercial and med to large residential. It works great. The left side of the deck is ofset to aid in trimming close to obstacles.<br>I have demoed outfront mowers and did not like them. Maybe because I was accustome to mid mount. <br>Midmount save alot of room on the trailer and with their short wheel base are very mauverable in tight places.

4. ashlandscaping

ashlandscaping Banned

I own a dixie chopper and have been on grasshoppers. Time and time again I will use the midmount first. The out front are nice but they are hard to turn and wiggle in and out of tight areas. We have no problem with close trimming with midmount. It takes getting used to just like mowwing with a out front. But all in all I would take a midmount every time. But on same note Iam not buying any more sit down riders all from now on will be surfers. less room better handling and so on. BUT that my feelings.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Ashland hit that on the money about the &quot;wiggling&quot; in and out of tight ares. I have both too (ZTMax and Grasshopper) and I find I can mow pretty much the same thing with either mower, just faster with the mid mount.