1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Outsourcing (originally posted in irrigation and comm. landscaping

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kobisk, Jan 21, 2004.

1. kobisk

kobisk LawnSite Member

Hey all,

I was wanting to get everyone’s opinion. Here is my situation My father-in-law and Brother-in-law have been installing and servicing irrigation systems approx. 25-30 installs per year for the past 2 years, they have recently started doing landscaping and also ponds .They also have around 5-10 regular lawn maintenance contracts, and do have a few snow removal contracts .

I have been helping them out for approx 2 years, they used to work for another contractor before that time. My job in IT may soon be outsourced. I have always loved working outside and I did lawn maintenance for approx 11 years during school. I have designed several of the systems that my father-in-laws company has installed.
    Am I crazy to go from steady paycheck to working with father-in-law in his 3 man operation? By the way I have a wife who is a speech pathologist and I get along great with my inlaws, I have 2 kids and it will involve a move of 150 miles. My wife has other job prospects so she will still be employed.
    My main concern is being able to provide for the kids, otherwise I would do this in the drop of a hat since I have never considered working with father-in-law and brother-in-law “work”. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I thought I would include the market size. Almost all work has been done in a town of about 5000 and they have many new houses going in. THe nearest major market ( which will sound really small to most of you) is approx 47K-50K. I think there is room to expand the business, since there is not many providers in the area. In comparison the are where I grew up is about the same size 47-50K maybe a little smaller and has twice as many providers. Thanks again.

DAZED AND CONFUSED LawnSite Member

these are personal thoughts not professional since i am one of the lucky ones that can afford to make a living being an employee and not an owner/operator.

1st. consider what your income is now and what will it be now if you go with your father-in-law (can you live on that now) thinking too far into the future of what you can make will lead to debt now.
    2nd. working for family and friends is very difficult for the reason of business problems can quickly turn into family fights.
    3rd. maybe gaining more edjucation in your field will help for more stability in your field reason for saying this is because you are right in caring about providing for your kids first

make your decision carefully and thoughtfully and God willing it will work out