Outsourcing

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by kobisk, Jan 20, 2004.

1. kobisk

kobisk LawnSite Member

Hey all,

I was wanting to get everyone’s opinion. Here is my situation My father-in-law and Brother-in-law have been installing and servicing irrigation systems approx. 25-30 installs per year for the past 2 years, they have recently started doing landscaping and also ponds .They also have around 5-10 regular lawn maintenance contracts, and do have a few snow removal contracts .

I have been helping them out for approx 2 years, they used to work for another contractor before that time. My job in IT may soon be outsourced. I have always loved working outside and I did lawn maintenance for approx 11 years during school. I have designed several of the systems that my father-in-laws company has installed.
    Am I crazy to go from steady paycheck to working with father-in-law in his 3 man operation? By the way I have a wife who is a speech pathologist and I get along great with my inlaws, I have 2 kids and it will involve a move of 150 miles. My wife has other job prospects so she will still be employed.
    My main concern is being able to provide for the kids, otherwise I would do this in the drop of a hat since I have never considered working with father-in-law and brother-in-law “work”. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I thought I would include the market size. Almost all work has been done in a town of about 5000 and they have many new houses going in. THe nearest major market ( which will sound really small to most of you) is approx 47K-50K. I think there is room to expand the business, since there is not many providers in the area. In comparison the are where I grew up is about the same size 47-50K maybe a little smaller and has twice as many providers. Thanks again.
    Kris

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Are you a risk taker? Or are you content with your place in life? You will probably put in more hours with more frustrations by switching. But it is also more fulfilling at times. You will probably have winter down time - not sure of your winter climate. Seems like a small market to me. How far away is the 47k-50k city? Will you work there as well?

Working with family, esp. in-laws, is going to be rough at times. It might put a strain tween you and the wife once in a while.

3. kobisk

kobisk LawnSite Member

DanaMac,

The bigger city is a little less than 20 minutes away. We have worked there previously. It seems to add about 40 minutes to an hour to your work day though.

I really like that fact that I will have some schedule flexibility.

Where I am at now you must document every minute spent at work. ( no exaggeration) It sucks when a few ruin it for everyone else.

I think there is an excellent potential to grow and expand the business in terms of customer base and services, without hiring other help yet.

In any case, I have always said that work is work and it will always suck so you may as well make money at what you doing; however as I get older I see that I may have been wrong.
    With each day I dislike my current job situation more and more, and I have always considered landscape type work enjoyable, and don't really feel like I'm "working", even though the physical labor is demanding at times.

I just don't know if the income potential is there or not based on the size of the community. That was a major concern. I'm not looking to get rich. I just want some flexibility and control over my employment future.

As far as winter climate not much to do here but stay warm. Actually this weekend I probably be back in Abilene setting a couple of well pumps.

Thanks for your insight.

Kris

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Let us know if you jump into it. Good luck. :)