Over aerating?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jokatico, Apr 18, 2004.

1. jokatico

jokatico LawnSite Member
    from maine

Is it true that too much of a good thing is bad? MY lawn is a high traffic area between my kids the neighbors kids and my dog, so it always looks trampled and compacted. I usually aerate my lawn when I aerate and over-seed my customers. Should I aerate only once a year or as much as it needs it?:confused:

2. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

I've never heard of aerating more than twice, with the fall aeration being the most beneficial.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

It is usually not money wise to do so more than twice. I would think you need to find a heartier grass that will take the beating your kids and dog give it. maybe this fall when you over seed use a heartier seed maybe a blue grass that sends out rhisomes (sp) or a fescue.
    also are you watering it enough? I find if the grass looks trampled it means it does not have enough moisture or nutrients. Just a thought.

4. jokatico

jokatico LawnSite Member
    from maine

Water I definitely need to look into an irrigation system. I emphasize to my customers that is very important but often neglect my own lawn. Every year I say my lawn will look great but as I get busy I push it off. Why not get my yard in perfect shape so when people drive by they see my quality work.

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Here is how I look at it. You are in the buisness to make money and the time you have to put in a sprinkler system will cost you money at this time. So being in the buis. and networking with those that do sprinklers for a living, I would hire one of them to do so. Usually they will give you a cut rate to do so when they need a fill in. Other than that have your kids move the sprinkler around at least the frount yard so that it looks fairly decent. I have picked up several accounts on how my yard looks. Not to mention the 15-20 fert only jobs.

6. jokatico

jokatico LawnSite Member
    from maine

right now I have 3 people who do irrigation. one who doesn't' want to look at a jobs under $5,000. one who will give a 5% finders fee and the last who will go almost half on profit if I help. now if i can just stop procrastinating and just do it.

7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i dont think it is possible to over aerate. the way i look at it is i believe the golf courses do it very often (may be wrong). i know plenty of people that do it 3 times a year. if you have the equipment go for it. if it cost you extra money to do your own lawn maybe not.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Golf Courses generally core aerate twice a year (spring/fall). If heavy play is encountered, slicing is also done, perhaps once every 4-6 weeks. Slicing is less disruptive to the playing surface than core aerating.

9. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

As long as the grass is active-You definitely cannot over-aerate, You're getting O2 to the roots, redistributing nutrients, and breaking through the thatch on the surface. I suppose it can be a pain when you break the vapor barrier and interfere w/Pre-em treatment, It also is more necessary in the areas affected by compaction stress (high trffc)

10. You may need to add soil ammendments when you aerate. Maybe some coarse sand or compost.
    But no, I don't think you are going to over aerate. You can aerate 5 times per year on really compacted soil.

Dave