1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Over Application?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cooter, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I cut the grass for the last time last Friday on a 3 acre home. I cut it just a bit lower at 2 3/4", and I did not mow it the week before, mainly last week to mulch leaves. Not even a week later all the grass is yellow/brown. There was no frost on the ground as it was about noon and the temps were in the mid 50's. No other property's have done this and I've never seen this before. The week before the property owner had a friend spraying herbicides. I haven't talked to him yet to see exactly what was sprayed as he probably wont know anyway. Could it have been an over application of the herbicide?
  2. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

If you just cut the grass, then its nothing you did that turned the grass brown unless your blades were really dull and you scalped the whole yard cutting it too short.
  3. BFLL

BFLL LawnSite Member

Sounds like you killed that yard buddy...lol...just joking
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It may be alright. Sometimes, depending on how long it was to begin with, it can have some yellow to it - due to the lack of light that had been hitting it below. Also, the herbicide(s) themselves could certainly have something to do with it. A strong combination of the two can CERTainly contribute to this.
  5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

You never mentioned what type of grass you're talking about.
    I don't mow for a living, I do lots of other 'green' things. But when I do lower the blades down here, and at the farm in the fall of the year like now I do notice what you're talking about.
    In my case, I'm lowering the blades very close to the crown area of the fescue, and when that happens the blades cut through quite a bit more volume of fiber of grass as they move horizontally, compared to normal, as that part of the grass plant is much more dense than the blade area that I'd been cutting at all summer.
    All that extra 'volume' of crowns exposed leaves a brown cast over the lawn that hadn't before been exposed.
    (I think this may be your culprit.)

But cutting short's good, of course! They've got to breathe in the winter.