Over applied fertilizer 25-2-5-possible health problems

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by slidell, Nov 20, 2005.

1. slidell

slidell LawnSite Member

We applied Lesco's 25-2-5, heavy, during hot weather with no wind and activated with water.

Several football players were on the field that afternoon and had severe respiratory problems resulting from, possibly, the fertilizer.

Has anybody else had any other problems with LESCO's 25-2-5 fertilizer?

2. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

This is a very interesting thread. Slidell, can you give us details as to about how much you over applied? What type of turf are you feeding? You said it was watered in right, did you see any burn?
    The 25-2-5 fert, whats the percent of SCU in the fert? I ask these questions after I over applied a %50 SCU fert withouth watering in, which caused burn. Respiratory problems is defenatly a concern. You sure it wasn't pollen, or weed control?

3. slidell

slidell LawnSite Member

Weed Control may have been applied right after fertilizer application, different people involved(screw up), hard to tell what all was applied(too many cooks in the kitchen).

4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

or....possibly their respiratory problems were from the heat???

5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I would look at the weed control before the fert. You would have had to put down a ton of fert for enough dust to come up from playing on a fertilized field to cause widespread respitory problems.

6. slidell

slidell LawnSite Member

Another contractor came behind after the fertilizer was apllied. That contractor is OOB, now, so we can't trace what weed control he applied.

How can you screw up with weed control applications? I'm trying to shift the exposure to weed control. Have you come across any horror stories for weed control?

7. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

You said it was a hot day, think it may have vaporized [ water evaporated]and thats what made the team players sick?......never heard of a problem with stright fertilizer, other than burn..............Good Luck and give them a copy of the MSDS sheets for the fertilizer:waving:

8. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Why were the players allowed on the field right after a weed application was made? Some weed control prducts can effect peoples breathing depending on what was used. Also remember when you are running around it increases your exposer due to the bodies need for oxegen.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What is OOB???

10. slidell

slidell LawnSite Member

Out of Business