Over irrigate Bermuda??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by NightScenes, Sep 2, 2007.

1. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Hey there guys. I don't know what is going on with my lawn. I have had great success this year in building what I thought was a great Bermuda lawn. It was thick, green, and healthy (so I thought). I was cutting it a couple of times a week because it was growing so fast. I then raised my cut to about 2.5" and it seemed to slow down a little, but was still growing very well. It gets watered every other day for about 30min. Now it is either dying or going dormant, I don't know which. It seems way too early for it to be going dormant. Anyway, I'm wondering if maybe I'm watering too much or need to go back and scalp it.

Any help would be great!!

2. Sounds like dollar spot fungus from over watering.

3. Ditto. Bermuda is a hardy turf and prefers drier conditions. If you have nutsedge (nutgrass for you non agronomy majors:) ) You are overwatering. Don't scalp. Maybe dethatch in a year or two.

4. Ah yes Dr. Duble. One of my former Profs.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Just like other plants there are many different varieties of Bermuda grasses. Without being there it would really be impossible to diagnose any disease since so many of them look like each other as pictures don't do them justice. But... in general... Bermudas can withstand excess watering at the risk of crab grasses and nutsedges creeping into it.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree on the watering comment, reduce it, ALOT.

Mow height is a bit high (recommended cutting heights for bermuda are 1-1.5"). You could probably push that to 2" when expecting 100+ temps for an extended period of time.

Bermuda can require dethatching as much as 2 times a year. Take some cores and check your thatch.

For your ref:

http://amarillo.tamu.edu/programs/agronomy/publications/Turfgrass/guidelines.pdf

7. NightScenes

Thank you guys for all of the input, but I found the problem. It turns out that my beautiful Bermuda lawn has been infested by worms!! These things are everywhere!! They are green and black worms. A landscaper friend of mine came by and showed me what was going on. He told me to use BT to get rid of the worms and then my grass will recover shortly.

Thanks again everyone.

8. NightScenes

So, how does someone dethatch? What is thatch? I know lighting but I don't know grass.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

an example (pic from UMN)

1123f01.jpg