Over my head?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CompletePropertyCare, Apr 14, 2006.

1. CompletePropertyCare

CompletePropertyCare LawnSite Member

I have finally been getting some calls but they have only been for landscaping. Edging some beds, mulch, alittle weeding - nothing major. JUst had a call for installing slate stone steps. I went and checked it out, alot landsaping and a couples of terraces involved. I want to sub it a reputable landscaping company - what should be my mark up? Because I am also a landscaper (small time) do they do it cheaper. How does this work

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not really sure but if I were such a company and some Lco called me asking for my estimate, I'd be hanging up the phone pretty quick because there's no way I can afford to pay the percentage... And if I don't pay it then the customer has to pay it and it's still money I'm not getting paid and it's on top of what it should cost.

That having been said, the mulch yard I get my mulch from has a blower truck (10 cubic yard minimum) and because I buy a lot of stuff from them, I get a 10 percent discount which, if I were to recommend the blower truck to a customer, then I might pocket the 10 percent but see here I go skru'ing over the mulch guys because I'm taking that money straight out of their pocket into mine so it's just as easy to direct refer them and be done with it.

That's just my view on things, I don't get very excited about subbed work to be sure, at least not where referral percents are involved.