Over 'n Out vs Top Choice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TPnTX, Oct 19, 2009.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

Top Choice is 200.00 for 50lbs @ 0.0143% fipronil

Over 'n out is 80.00 for 40lbs @ 0.0103% fipronil

Anyone tried the Over 'n Out. I don't mind paying for something that works but that a big difference in price. for a 7% gain.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Top Choice uses professional Ink on the bag therefore the price difference. BTW This is not new. Top Choice has always used professional Ink on the Bag and therefore it does a better job because it says professional grade Ink instead of Homeowner grade Ink.

3. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

lmao thats good stuff ric........

4. TPnTX

so you have used over n out?

5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

:laugh::laugh: LMAO!!!!:laugh::laugh:

He didn't say that!!:laugh:

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Turf Dawg

The residual of any pesticide or Fertilizer has more to do with the CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity) of the soil than the Formulation. In Sandy Soil you can expect very little Residual where as Clay soil might have years of Residual.

I have posted a ton of info about Ant Control and Top Choice here on Lawn site. One point I try to make over and over is the Missed Marketing opportunities by offering a once a year service. BTW Over and Out controls Fleas Ticks and Mole Crickets etc in my sandy soil. However I only use it for Mole Crickets in early summer when Mole Crickets are best controlled as lymphs.

8. TPnTX

that link wouldn't work. It's 5am probably down for maint but I think its the one that made me wonder in the first place.

There is a guy in a nearby town that runs a farm seed and fertilizer outfit. He's in his late 50's or early 60's. Real nice guy and is extremely knowledgable. He carries all kinds of stuff and is perfectly willing to offer up advice. He's also willing to tell you when he doesn't know the answer to a question. He says Over 'n Out is as good but like anything else you have to make you own decisions so I started trying to read up on it.

As bayer likes to point out a .004% difference is significant.

Over 'n out is referred to as 'home owner' and TP "professional". Well there's your .004 right there:rolleyes:

TP is also mentioned for commercial and "high end" residential. AKA "rich" ants.

Sometime things are written only for the gullible to see.

so I thought I'd come here and punish myself further. I did a search. It's pretty scattered out regarding TP. I didn't see anything on O'nO.

I'll look again Ric for the ton of stuff on here by you. Thanks.

9. TPnTX

oh you mean the one titled Fire Ants? Yeah, thats some good info there but the title is wrong. It should be "Lacuna" which in latin means "a hole". See you have raised the bar :)

10. TPnTX

I'll try your sandy soil method. I live in NE Texas. Black thick clay dirt. Except where I live. There is some ancient river that deposited sandy loam in a vein about 5-6 miles wide and who knows how long. So my 14 acres is sand. Some call it sugar sand. Whatever. I glad I read your info because I would really like to control ant around my house which is a big area.