Over pricing question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lostmdboy, Jun 9, 2008.

1. lostmdboy

lostmdboy LawnSite Member

Ok I quoted a job, but I thought it would take more supplies (plants, mulch) then it acually will. This will net me quite a payday. Should I go with the original quote that the peeps seem very fine with. Or give them a break, and cut the price. I figure on giving some $$$ back, but I figured I would see what you guys think.

2. SC Irrigator

SC Irrigator LawnSite Member
    from SC

if u use all the material you quoted them then i wouldnt.....

3. lostmdboy

lostmdboy LawnSite Member

that is just it. I did not.

4. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Keep the money. You will need it to make up for a loss when you underquote a job.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If they were happy with the original estimate than go for it. There is a certain corporate conscious that you have to think about, but then you also need to make money, unlike oil corporations.

I don't know, it's a slippery slope. You have to take in consideration what the market value for the job is too. Even though you might have done it cheaper, you don't want to be a low-baller in the end.

What's the percentage difference between the estimate and final bill. If it's only 5 percent, then I wouldn't sweat it, but if it's over 30 percent or more, then it's something you have to consider.

Be careful too, if some other landscaper came in to critique your work, he might point out where you overcharged, could come back to bite you in a couple of years.

If it were me, I would give them a bill a little under your quote, makes you look like you tried to save them money and you get your pay day.

It's sometimes hard to put a price on quality work.

6. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep it, you earned it.

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Depends on how much it is. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Look over your notes for the job and add up the totals for the job. If you feel like your not raping them then submit the estimate. I always write up a first draft for landscaping estimates to see what the numbers come out to be. Sometimes the final numbers look crazy. Then you go back and find that you forgot to figure in drive time, delivery, disposal, or PROFIT. I found it hard to overcome the feeling of charging to much. Talked to a few well established owners of landscape companies and found that I was on the low side. So I don't feel bad for charging what I need to charge. You don't want to find yourself only covering you costs and making a paycheck. Your in business to make a profit not just a paycheck

9. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, my first couple of years in the biz I would have many sleepless nights wondering if I was charging too much, and was my quality worth what I was charging. It took time, but I finally got over it, that and having a new son helped my confidence on billing.

10. mULcHmAN.wLs

mULcHmAN.wLs LawnSite Member

Even if you cut the bill a small amount, that goes miles in the customers eyes. Just a thought...