Over run by clover

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by AI Inc, Jun 10, 2008.

1. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Front lawn at my own residence has been over run by clover. Whats my best bet for getting rid of it?

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

2-4d, but I have bermuda. You cant put this on all grass and I dont know what you have? 2-4d will kill it in like 2 to 3 days!

3. bigclawnman

bigclawnman LawnSite Member

What specifically is 2-4d. H ave not heard of that?

4. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Its a herbicide

5. bigclawnman

bigclawnman LawnSite Member

You buy it at Lesco? home Depot?

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Blue/rye mix , cool weather

7. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

2,4-d will not kill clover. You need a 3-way herbicide to get rid of clover. You should also fertilize your lawn as clover grows well in low nitrogen conditions. How are you going to apply the herbicide? I don't mean to be a jerk but you sound like a homeowner with little experience and I worry about you incorrectly applying the herbicide. If you go to a Lesco, which is really a John Deere Landscapes they should be able to help you out. Your best bet would be to hire a local professional to do the job and get advice.

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Very familiar with JDL , I buy my seed and starter fert there . Im actualy an irrigation contractor , we also do a lot of areating / overseeding at the end of summer , so Im in Lesco quite a bit at that time.

On another note I also have quite a bit of African violet ( you guys may call it something else , not sure)

9. RobHawkins

RobHawkins LawnSite Member

No wonder I still have clover in my back yard.
    Which 3 way herbicide do you recommend?
    Thanks,
    Rob

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Clover hates nitrogen rich soil, I would increase the nitrogen a little bit along with whichever herbicide you decide to use. 2,4D is a big ingredient in 3 way, and it does kill clover under the right conditions.

I would consider hiring a professional, they will know whats best for your specific area.