Over seeding Procedure

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by factoryrat, Apr 24, 2006.

1. factoryrat

factoryrat LawnSite Member

I ve read on here that most people aerate twice and thewn broadcast spread the seed. My question is if I do that am I supposed to put straw or something over it when im done. If so , whos responsible for cleaning the straw up when the grass comes in?
    I have my first over seeding estimate to do on 3/4 acre, does 25 per 1k sound about right? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Troy

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We don't like straw, and haven't used straw for years. Get a windy day, and that straw has blown everywhere. We use peat moss to cover, have been for years, it works out well.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Same here. I never use straw unless there is a serious possibility that soil erosion might happen (t-storm downpour, etc.) plus the fact that straw contains weeds that will infiltrate your new lawn area.

As for how many lbs. per K, 25 per is a bit much...you can cut that # easily in 1/2 even on bare topsoil.

Some starter fert doesn't hurt as well when aerating and seeding.

4. factoryrat

Oops I meant $25 per 1000 plus materials. Do you use peat moss as well ? And how much peat moss would I need to cover it? 1" , 2 " ?

5. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Yer ok on the price but leave the straw along unless you absoultly need the cover. Usually if you are overseeding behind aeration using a slit seeder you will stir up enough cover to protect the new plants. The cover will go away fairly quickly once the new lawn gets going. I would do this.
    Aerate up to 12 / 14 holes per foot
    Overseed with a good slit seeder a few hours later when the cores are dry
    water and aftercare program
    Fert when the grass is mowed the first time. do not burn the new grass and if you fert to early you will be feeding the competition not the new grass. Use a good quality starter fert.

6. factoryrat

Thank You for your input, it is much appreciated. I went out to the job and its a brand new construction ,there is no grass.Im thinking of using a slit seeder.Any idea on what to charge.I have no idea how long it would take with a slit seeder.The are is all open ,it has one gently grade going off the back of the house. Any help woulld be appreciated.Thanks

7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

If it is bare ground you should cover the seeding with something to protect it for the first few weeks. Straw is the old reliable but be aware you may be getting a good crop of weed seed with straw. Best bet is to get some mulch cover from your local seed vendor. Usually it is made of shredded paper or something similiar. I have seen several vendors of this product at the Michigan Green Industry show in Novi each year. so I know there are some local suppliers in Michigan.